Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ChefsChoice knife sharpener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it ruin a knife that is originally at 15° and sharpen it on a 20° sharpener, or does it just see life a bit differently and keep on working well?

Kathryn

Comment

No it does not ruin it. Your angle will never be the same after any sharpening , just a slight variation from the last time due to all of the variables. fzxdoc

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

I'm learning a lot on this topic, thanks in good measure to your posts as well.
        K.

fzxdoc I'm not trying to knock any way anyone wants to sharpen a knife or any product, it is just impossible for the homeowners to accurately reproduce the same angle each and everytime you sharpen one. The worst thing about any electric sharpener is as the blade is drawn across the wheel it generates heat which over time can soften the blade edge by tempering the metal. Unless it is a slow turning wheel that cools and lubricates with oil or water. But as far as changing the angle some not that big of deal we sharpen tools every day by hand and the angle is always different they still cut precisely. Now the manufacturers of knives may have decided that the angle your blade has when you receive it is the best angle for that particular knives due to type of metal and thickness. Myself I want mine to last as long as possible that is why I do them by hand as it does the least amount of material removal and less chance of scratching the blades

Comment

I've been very happy with mine. I started out with the Spyderco Tri-angle sharpener, and was only modestly pleased. It does work, but takes a LONG time to sharpen one blade and do it really well. I recently upgraded to the Chef's Choice Trizor a few months ago. I had some reservation about resetting my mid-grade 20 degree blades to 15 degrees, specifically about them being able to hold that edge, but I've had no regrets. I did find that the final edge was very sharp, but not quite as "razor sharp" as I had expected, so I took the next step and finished them with the Spyderco's fine and extra-fine grit stones, and you could easily shave with them after that. Scary sharp. I just use a honing steel after every washing and before every use, and my mid grade knives have held their edge quite well. I did practice first with and old knife that I never use anymore, which was helpful (it also is now scary sharp). I also sharpened a friend's badly beat up chef's knife (kids had used it as a hardware tool), and had excellent results.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Spyderco triangle sharpmaker is excellent for touch ups and secondary bevel but it’s too slow if the knife is very dull or you need to fix the back bevel.

• Bruce R
          Bruce R commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly my experience Polarbear.

The back bevel is set by the type of knife and can be changed if you want but it’s a lot of work.

Generally the better the steel (harder and/or tougher). The thinner you can make the secondary edge without rolling or dulling too quickly. As long as you don’t go too thin and get chips in the blade. The thinner you go the more effortless the cutting.
        For most kitchen knives 15 per side is good.

If if you have cheaper steel blades you may be better off at 20 degrees.

Example: a cleaver you want 20 degrees or better yet use a belt and make it concave like an axe.
        But for a boning knife I want 15 or less because I don’t want to have to force any cuts while holding slippery meat or fish.

As long as the back bevel is thinner than the secondary (edge) bevel, resharpening or touching up is easy.

Comment

Hi - I'm not a butcher, and it doesn't take me long to carve up what I've made. I usually want to get to eating. I've read a bit, as I've spent time selecting that right couple knives for the kitchen that I use every day. My budget could be called 'on a budget'. I do meat, fish, and veggies. For the meat I've got a Damascus chef, a JA Henckels chef, and a Japanese style chef. Oddly enough the blade I like best is a vintage 8" Sheffield England chef and fork set from Craig's List that I grabbed for $ 20.00.

So I researched Sheffield blades. They are stainless versus carbon, and that may be a thread in itself. But, the vintage blades ARE ALL INEXPENSIVE (cheap, even). Mine have genuine stag handles. Try them out, it's low risk for the price.

BTW - the best fish filet knife I've found isn't 'name brand (Rapala), or made in Scandinavia. It's branded Browning, comes from Bass Pro, and is their in-house brand.

The thing is, I don't have enough time with these knives to know how the blades will hold up over time, and sharpening.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here