Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Board Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Board Recommendations

I recently purchased a new cutting board for my BBQ needs. I purchased Napoleon Grills 70012 Commercial Cutting Board with Stainless Steel Bowls , after only about 30 days the board is already bowing and has a crack forming. I applied the Boos Mystery oil and beeswax on the board before using. I even applied it a second time after my first use because it seemed like the board was still dry. I also noticed when using the juice grove is too shallow and it still overflowed onto the counter. I am returning this board. I have reviewed several wood cutting boards but it seems like with all of them people have issues with cracking. What cutting boards does everyone use, what would you recommend to replace the one I am returning?

Just picked this up & I am in love. Click image for larger version

Name:	D06A23E1-B7B4-4BEA-A8A9-01677FAF0783.jpeg
Views:	797
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	520968

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful board! Back in a previous life I worked for a wholesale hardwood lumber company and we had our own mill for making moldings and such. We had to charge a premium for milling teak because the abundant mineral crystal in the wood would wreak havoc on planer knives and shaper heads. I'd be interested to know if you find yourself knife-sharpening more after using this.

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      I have this board as well. Works and looks great. I have no issues with increased knife sharpening when using this board. As I recall, these are made from a teak that is lower in silica. ATK gave it a thumbs up as well.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Love my TeakHaus board!

I have this Catskill. I’ve had it for 5 years I think and really like it. my parents gave this to me for my birthday, so not sure where they picked it up. It’s nice and heavy and with a thin wash cloth underneath it doesn’t move when in use. It is quite big, but it stays out all the time since I have it on the island, which needs this to fill some of the space.

I do need to oil this again...but it looks almost brand new when I do.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by barelfly; June 24, 2018, 11:25 AM. Reason: edited and added pic of after being oiled to show it cleaned up

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Have something similar. Had for years. TLC and it looks like new.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I love end-grain boards!

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s great to cut on. I oiled it last night. Looks brand new!

I also have a Catskill, a 30" for just over 3 years and have been very happy with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I use this butcher block conditioner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version  Name:	81-IK8iqPQL._SL1500_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.4 KB ID:	520989

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      We use this one as our main board on the trailer!

I have a Boos Block for show and a plastic one for dough !!!!

Comment

• CRO
      CRO commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here!

I have a Catskill as a well and it is a nice, heavy duty board. I'm a little spoiled however because I make most of my own now. I got tired of spending money on boards that would split and crack. My shop is well set up and it's pretty easy to glue up a bunch of edge grain boards and finish them. Whether buying or building, maintenance and avoiding soaking them is key to their longevity. Mineral oil once a week and bees wax to fix little problem areas promptly and they should last for years.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^^^^THIS^^^^^ I liberally mineral oil my cuttin boards, after hand washin em....if they suck it in, I jus apply more...
      No splits/cracks, so far, at least...

I have something called a "Pro-Chef-Board," about 30 x 24 by maybe 1.5-2" thick (?). Nothing fancy, just maple butcher block. It was a wedding present, so that means its 46 years old. I think I've sanded it down a couple of times, but that's about it as far as maintenance goes. Never oiled it.

I just now Googled "Pro Chef Butcher Block" to see if they were still in business, and got a bunch of links to Boos -- so maybe this is one of their old ones? Beats me. If so, well, like I say, 46 years and basically good as new.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Maple is a very close-grained, dense wood that is optimal for cutting boards. I have a big chunk in the corner of the shop that is whispering to me. I think I'll heed that Siren song when the snow falls later this year.

CaptainMike , ATK tested a some cutting boards & this came out on top. Ya gotta trust somebody & I’m a sucker for an extensive test. Then, there was a sale on it & I bit. So far I think it is great.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, you're probably not doing 10,000 spm's (slices per minute). Just something that pops into my head when I see teak. We had a customer that was doing salvage work on WWI era battleship that was decked in teak. He brought in a chunk that was 16" thick x 30" wide and said it was one of 3 layers on that deck. He asked us to plane it and our guys said no way. Magnificent wood!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Teak absolutely RULES, fer certain applications! CaptainMike
      Hail on cuttin tools, though, like ya said! $$$$$

Beautiful boards:

Shop premium wood cutting boards at The Boardsmith. Crafted with precision and attention to detail, our durable end grain boards are built to last a lifetime.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen that site before. Those things are wooden art!

• Baltassar
      Baltassar commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous, but my goodness, that's a lot of money for something you're going to hack up chicken on. Never thought of cutting boards art objects. But they are pretty visible sitting there, true enough.

My next cutting board will be a nice end grain board from here: http://www.jonescuttingboards.com/index.html

Comment

I went all out some time ago and purchased the Frankfurter Brett. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this system and use it daily.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang you Lonnie mac You just gave me a fatal dose of MCS!! That guy in the video has some serious knife skills as well!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Well thought out design! Doesn't work so well if the only dishwasher installed is your wife, though!

• Baltassar
        Baltassar commented
        Editing a comment
        That guy is using my knife!

Thank you everyone for the recommendations, based on my budget I'm going to go with a Catskill, I think I'm going to go with the 24in pro series.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's wishin th best fer ya, please, lemme know how it works out, okay?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't forget to get something to protect the board. I also use the stuff linked above.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent choice! Be sure to grease it up often.

My 2" plus boos block is amazing! No issues. Had it for about 5 years now.

Comment

I went through this a couple months back and wound up with a Boos Block. Mainly because it has the deepest juice groove I could find and because well everyone should have at least one Boos Block right. So far i really love using it. Also you can find some excellent custom made boards on Etsy from some fine wood workers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0007.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	521293

Comment

Stumbled across this in an antique store in Walterboro, SC. Lots of sanding, lots of beeswax, lots of mineral oil - and it's what I use on a daily basis. I do use a thick plastic cutting board on it when I'm doing raw protein, but other than that, I use it as is.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by phrogpilot73; June 24, 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I would love to find one of those.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            That's from when cutting boards were cutting boards...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here