Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend me a good carbon steel pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you recommend me a good carbon steel pan?

For a while now I only used cast iron and stainless steel pans. So now that I'm aware of carbon steel pans it seems like i should try one out. Recommendations?

I only have 1, and it's a Lodge 12 inch skillet. I'm happy with it, especially for the price of around $30. But there are a lot of nicer options if that's what you are looking for.

Comment

This sounds like a question for Spinaker

Comment

Here is the one America’s Test Kitchen recommends

Comment

• Tom421
          Tom421 commented
          Editing a comment
          these pans are a great suggestion, have one love it!

Lodge makes some great Carbon Steel Pans. I own some of them. They don't get a lot of use as I prefer Cast iron, but they are nice pans.

Comment

I was just in the kitchen and grabbed this pic. Normally the cast iron one is outside for the side burner and the steel one sits right where it is.

Both are 12" Lodge skillets - lids are interchangeable. The cast iron is 15-ish years old and mirror smooth from use. The carbon steel is less than a year old - it's been used a bunch, but I think the surface will keep getting better. I don't get too worried about keeping my pans perfectly seasoned - it comes and goes. Since I use and care for them in the same way, this is a valid comparison of the appearance. The brown, blotchy color on the steel pan seems to be about normal for mine - it works fine and that's all that matters to me. If appearance is important to someone, I would guess it can be maintained with care but I don't know that for sure. I just use it.

My only concern about the Lodge carbon steel skillet is the riveted handle. Food (especially egg) gets stuck around the rivets and takes a little extra care cleaning. And over time rivets will loosen from heating/cooling cycles. Whether that will happen in years, decades or centuries is to be determined. For $30 I'll take my chances.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180430_084730.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	492425

Comment

I am a big fan of the De Buyer pans. Great quality and easy to work with. But I haven’t tried other brands, so I can’t give you a fair comparison.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Great brand!

I'll bet these are nice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here