Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a salt block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a salt block

I have a Himalayan salt block and use it like a griddle. It is susceptible to breaking from thermal shock. It works fine on my inside gas range because I can heat it slowly. I want to use it as a tabletop cooker, sort of Korean style. I can’t put a block at 500 degrees on my table and I can’t think how I could put a trivet under it without risking a broken block caused by the cold trivet.

Any suggestions?

In.

Comment

I'd just get an appropriately sized block of untreated wood and set the hot trivet on that, then the block on the trivet. If you use something cheap like pine, just toss it when it gets too unsightly.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing that RonB said. I would use an old cutting board or something. Once you put it down, it shouldn't smoke.

Comment

Welcome Barefootbob

Comment

Wood, or a dedicated small chopping block would work. They do make trivets, or a "holder" for these things but unless yours came with one to size, probably outta luck. A wooden chopping block would be cool. I would not worry "too" much about shocking it as you place a huge cold slab of meat on the top.

I don't use salt blocks, but I do use Lava rocks. I use them a lot. Not as big a worry about shocking as salt, and I usually heat mine to the 600 mark or so. Salt does melt at 800. Mine do have trivets, then the trivet sits in a very thick serving tray to carry it all to the table. Then you slap on a huge raw steak, some veggies and feast like never before.

Pics man! We need pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	trivet.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	442873

Comment

Many thanks! That was fast!

glad I joined

Any general suggestions for a newbie and his brand new Kamado cooker?

Comment

• customtrim
                customtrim commented
                Editing a comment
                Only suggestion enjoy it don't fret on the temp to much and oh yeah enjoy it I love mine

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Practice, practice, practice....

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Use the kamado a lot. Seriously. Each one is different, even within the brand. For example, my LBGE has a hot spot in the right rear center, someone else’s might have a hot spot in the left rear or front. Mine might hold 250* with the vents at 1/8”, another might need 1/4”. The more you use it, the more second nature everything will get.

Have you considered a small butane burner for the block Barefootbob it could work well tableside. On a side note, message me with any Kamado questions. Cheers-

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                You want to heat it gradually. A torch seems more likely to shock it and break it.

I just got on to cooking with a salt block after having a huge rib eye served on one in Mexico. I bought one off Amazon the day I got home. It came with a steel frame and handles I heat mine slowly in the oven, then put it on an old wood cutting board. I take a 1.5-2" rib eye, sear it on the grill, then let it cook on the block as I eat. I love it. Doing garlic shrimp on it today. I am going to make up a frame for it and sit it over my little portable electric range so I can use it as a table top cooker like you mentioned.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here