Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Tail Tool A Good Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Tail Tool A Good Idea?

I've found nothing on the site about them, so that might be my answer! But I saw one in action recently and it seemed pretty slick, at least for pork chops and the like.

I didn't know what it was called but found out here: https://www.amazon.com/Pigtail-Food-...+barbeque+tool

Now that I think about it, might be limited to small items. Can't imagine it with a prime rib!

I've never used them. I already have tongs and a pair of heavy rubber gloves that work well. However, I have never seen a Pit Tail in action.

Comment

I've never seen one in action, but I doubt whether it would work on large cuts of meat brisket and Boston Butt that are cooked to probr tender. My only question would be does the meat sometimes get caut on the pig tail and I wonder if there is a skill to be learned with the hooking and unhooking the meat. I have a friend who likes his. I am comfortable using my long cooking tongs.

Comment

@fkrail, I have One but So Far I haven't used it❓ I have Seen one in use It looked like it was working Great❗️ I think they May be Percieved to be better than Tongs the Larger the # of Steaks or Chops!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	376356It's one of those tools that when you need it, it sure comes in handy. It's great for quick turns of smaller pieces of meat like chicken pieces and for ribs too.. Not so good for big pork butts or briskets. I know one BGE user who uses it all the time when reverse searing his steaks on that Egg.

The advantage is that hook is small and very sharp so it always gets the meat speared well. Plus I like that long handle. I'm always wearing bracelets on my right wrist, and holding my arm over the grate for any length of time causes them to heat up uncomfortably. The long pigtail handle keeps my arm away from the grate. The one I have is 21 inches long, end to end, which is longer than the one you linked us to, fkrall . It has a nice rosewood handle and copper loop for hanging.

Kathryn

edited to add: here's the Amazon link to the one I got.

Last edited by fzxdoc; September 7, 2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I have a tool that is very similar and love it. Mine is a bit heavy and made of iron. It will flip small AND heavy pieces of meat. However, if you are cooking anything that you will serve pulled, it stops working towards the end of the cook for obvious reasons. fzxdoc 's review is awesome and spot on.

Comment

"Back in the day" when I was a volunteer fireman we would do a couple, sometimes more, of tri tip bbq fundraisers every year. We had a local farrier who would pound out some heavy duty pigtails on his forge. They were indispensable when cooking and flipping 100 roasts at a time and those babies could flip a car!

Comment

I saw someone using one of these in a video to dip wings in sauce before searing at the end of a cook. Seemed to work pretty well for him in that application.

Comment

Yup, they're pretty handy. Flipping bacon is also another way I use mine.

Comment

I like mine, I use it for chicken, steaks etc.

Comment

Yes its awesome for flipping and dipping chicken thighs in sauce at comps, as that's how I found out about them watching youtube videos.. Kathryn's fzxdoc review is spot on and I found it to work perfect for pulling sun pickles out of the gallon jars!

Comment

I've had mine for about 15 years or so. It works. I just don't take it out as often as I used to. Great for turning chops.

Comment

Great feedback, all. Thanks!

Comment

I love using these for steaks. Use it every time. They work great. Especially when you have a fully loaded grill.

Comment

So you folks are poking holes in your?!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here