Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knives

I am not really sure where this should go. But can anyone recommend a good knife for trimming briskets and shoulders. Not wanting to break the bank but looking for a good, solid knife and stays sharp. Appreciate any and all comments.

This is what I use. Hone it before each use and it stays very sharp.

Admin's, please edit for AR Amazon code. I have no idea how to do that.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I use the same one.

I am not a brisket officianado, but for all my trimming I use a Rapala filet per Meathead's recommendation. It's cheap & sharp.

Comment

Don't remember the brand on mine, but the earlier reco's are right on target: a somewhat flexible boning or fileting knife will serve you well!

Comment

Meathead mentioned Rapala Soft Grip fillet knives in an article or something one time.

i picked up a few different sizes on amazon and they work great for trimming... and they are inexpensive.

Comment

For trimming.....I like to use either my Global Boning knife or my Rapala Fillet knife.

For slicing....... there is no better knife than the Brisket Sword. I even like it better than my much more expensive Shun Slicer.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Greg1, I got the slicer on @Spinaker's recommendation. Everyone in my house refers to it as "The Brisket Sword"...it's awesome.

Spinaker you really had me. I saw Brisket Sword & I went argh, argh argh. Flipped right over to Amazon & was immediately disappointed, cuz its name really wasn't brisket sword. Somebody ought to hire you for marketing. Argh, argh, argh, the Binford 4000 Brisket Saw. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha, yeah that's just what I call it! FireMan

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker (insert pirate voice now) Arrg!!!.... Carve ye Briskets with ye sword. I'll take the Acme Auto Brisket slicer delux.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I prefer to pronounce it Yarrrrrrrr!!!! HouseHomey. LOL Then you can say, "Time flies when yarrrrrr drinkin' rum!!!"

Filet knives come in many sizes too! Stay very sharp when not cutting Bones and skin, and are very easy to sharpen.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Scott View Post
            Filet knives come in many sizes too! Stay very sharp when not cutting Bones and skin, and are very easy to sharpen.
            I really like the stiffness off the blade for trimming out the deckle too!

Comment

All are good knifes at a resoanable coasts.

Comment

the wood handle rapala fillet knife is my tool of choice.Get them at any big box store and at sporting goods stores. A buddy of mine swears by his "Bubba" fillet knife.

Comment

Whatever you get, I suggest a narrow blade like the filet knives discussed here. They will have less drag than a wide blade.

Comment

@Spnaker BWHAHAHA. Drinking the white tonight.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8355.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	369125

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      fancy looking. Ill stick to my whisky. cheers.

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cheers texastweeter ! Be safe.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                    For trimming.....I like to use either my Global Boning knife or my Rapala Fillet knife.

For slicing....... there is no better knife than the Brisket Sword. I even like it better than my much more expensive Shun Slicer.
                    Spinaker er, that Global boning knife is fantastic for brisket! It's flexible enough to do big portions of topside work over the flat quickly and evenly. Particularly if you manage your temps and pull that brisket out from the cold fridge and start right on the thin fat layer on top of the flat. I just bought a 2nd one!

My other super-flexible favorite is the Flexible Boning Knife from Wusthof. It costs a little more than the Global. The Global, once the brand new out of the box edge wears off, does need to be run over the steel in between each brisket, if you want that super sharp action. So, the Wusthof seems to be superior in that regard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here