Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stoneware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stoneware

Some time back, I bought some porcelain covered cast iron, and received a couple of stoneware (glazed) loaf pans also. They are NOT glazed on the underside. Have considered using them in the HB for mac-n-cheese or tamale casserole, but am concerned that the non glazed portion will be permeated by smoke (I know, how bad could that be, right?) and they would forever be relegated as smoker use only.

Has anyone else here used stoneware in their smoker, and how was your stoneware affected?

Not I but would like to know.

Comment

Admins... Thanks for the redirect. It seems you y'all have added a few sub channels since my "sabbatical". Very nice....

It appears that most stick with the trusty cast irons, or foil pans. I'll risk one of them soon, and see how it fares.

Comment

I would be a little bit cautious doing this. I don't know whole lot about stoneware, other than it is ceramic and often glazed. I am sure they can crack over direct heat, if heated to quickly. I would imagine the ceramic would absorb some of the smoke while in the smoker. If you pieces are glazed, the glaze may also crack. Again, I don't know much about stoneware, but those would be my thoughts. I might be wrong.
        As for the enamel coated cast iron, these pieces should not be used oven a flame or on the grill. The coating can chip and crack. I own only a few enamel coated pieces, partly because of this issue.

Comment

Thanks Spinaker. I will be careful. I would think since they are designed to be used in an oven, using them inside an indirectly heated smoker would be fine. The absorbing smoke could be an issue though and is my concern.

I also don't use my enamel coated CI when cooking outdoors. Mainly because of it's size, I hadn't even considered it.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Cooking indirectly, you will be fine. But I can certainly see it sucking up some smoke.

Plus enamel coated CI is too expensive to risk it.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I've used my LeCreuset dutch oven indirect many times. But indirect here means with a "plate setter" / baffle over the fire.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here