Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your Favorite Cookware Manufacturer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does "TCCTG" count....The Cheapest Crap They Got

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Does "TCCTG" count....The Cheapest Crap They Got
      Absolutely!! I remember the days when affording a pan, however cheap it was, was a luxury. Life was a lot simpler then also.

Comment

Now that you guys mention it I still have and use a el-cheapo 5 inch frying pan (Teflon scratched to kingdom come) I got fromWalMart when I got my first place out of college. I still use it for eggs over easy and have rescued it from my wife's garage sales at least twice. So, yeah - it all counts if it works for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
          Absolutely!! I remember the days when affording a pan, however cheap it was, was a luxury. Life was a lot simpler then also.
          That's what I'm talking about- when Wallyworld or Meijer or Amazon has a sale on TFal or Good Cook, I pull out my debit card.

Comment

The wife took my debit card away from me

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
              The wife took my debit card away from me
              You still have your Stash right?

Comment

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                DW, you are my kind of person!

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                DW got the only Lang with a "fire proof to 8 million degrees" secret compartment.

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, that is a heck of an option. I will have to ask Ben about it when I go down to talk about the Langs.

You should shop at your local restaurant supply if you have one. My 2 favorite pans came from there, SS no rivets nice lids and cheap! Next time I went back they had a different brand.

Comment

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                I have twice as many lids as pans somehow, and only one fits anything I have.

Oh and sometimes Tuesday Morning has nice cookware by the piece pretty cheap.

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                Good advice in both cases!

Candy Sue, funny you should mention the local restaurant supply.I was thinking about checking them out the other day I am really having a problem with the price of going with the all clad looking for a different alternative. Maybe if I didn't have so many irons in the fire so to speak with my cooking barbecuing and all the otherendeavors that I am into Eicks kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul with the disposable income that I have. Anyway this thread has been excellent was so many of you good guys giving me input and tell me what you have done and how you are doing it it has really opened my eyes to a lot

Comment

• HC in SC
                HC in SC commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't go cheap just because it's cheap and don't be afraid to pull the trigger on something expensive. Just know what makes it expensive and does it really make that much difference to you. I saw a program where 2 different groups of people were served the exact same pizza in a restaurant. One group saw the regular price, the other was shown a price nearly double the regular price. The group that paid more thought it was better pizza - just part of human nature.

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                I saw that same episode! I believe the guy was able to jack the price from 14 to 28. And you're right! The people that paid 28 thought it was a better pizza.

Because... "the family" brought the tomatoes from Italy, the cheese was aged xyz and hand shredded, the oregano came from Greece, blah, blah, blah.

In the Marines I didn't have room for much, I had a stainless bowl and a fork and that was it, everything was cooked and eaten in that or on paper plates. Even cereal with a fork. I guess that has followed me into later life, I have several pans accumulated through the years but I only use 4. T-fal frying pan, small non-stick pan of unknown origin, stock pot of unknown origin, and a Lodge cast iron skillet. I do probably have 50 knives, though altogether they wouldn't buy me a Cutco paring knife...

Comment

• Yno
                Yno commented
                Editing a comment
                I eat my peas with honey,
                I've done it all my life.
                It makes the peas taste funny,
                but it keeps them on my knife!

Eating cereal with a fork is a new one for me.

I have made an initial decision. I just ordered an All Clad BD5 10 pc starter set. If I like it I will build on that. If i don't I will sell it and get something else. I feel I will most likely stick with the All Clad as all the sets are the same size and lids are interchangeable etc. and that is important to me and I can build on the basic set and add specific pieces to it to customize my selection. I should have my set by the end of the week and will give a report on it as it is a support accessory for my "Q"ing habit.

Comment

Cuisinart is my favorite brand!

Comment

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cam, they make excellent products.

• cdnichol
                  cdnichol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also like and have a Sur La Table all clad set too!

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK Cam, come clean!! What else do you have that you aren't sharing??? ;-D

We just changed over from non stick to all cast iron and carbon steel. It is the best thing,I think ,I've ever done.Over a couple weeks, several enamelware dutch ovens, saucepans, and skillets by Lodge, Staub(ouch!), and Tramontina were purchased. Along the way we also picked up several Lodge cast iron skillets and chicken fryers from 6" to 15". We finished up with 3 carbon steel woks: A 16"round bottom wok for outdoor cooking, and a 12" and 14"woks for the kitchen. A couple Lodge carbon steel sauté pans rounds up the menagerie.

As a long time chef and line dog(35+ years), I think I've cooked with just about every style and type of cookware at one time or another. Most stainless steel stuff, while attractive, is overpriced. Non stick is fine for lower temperatures (think eggs). The problem with non stick is that a good layer of fond is difficult to achieve while sautéing and you really can't use high heat because of out-gassing of toxins from the coating. For me, cast iron and carbon steel mitigate all these issues. The caveat is seasoning and "looks." I prefer a well "loved" look in my kitchen, as my kitchen is a working kitchen, not some Better Homes and Garden fantasy. There, I said it. For me, the idea is to follow the food, not the tool(s). The food will tell you the tools and methods, you just have to listen. If you like shiny pans, get stainless. If you like restaurant quality at home, use what we use and learn to do it right. It is actually easier, in the long run, and makes better food. My carbon steel wok, for example, looks mottled both inside and out. However, it will float an egg like nobody's business! It is absolutely smooth and shiny with seasoning, but looks like it grew up in the mud. Not bad for 26 bucks.

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been eyeing one of those Lodge carbon steel skillets. My go to skillets are lodge cast iron.

• Strat50
                  Strat50 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A good carbon steel skillet is very, very good for searing. Even better, for many things, than cast iron. If you season them as you would a carbon steel wok, then you're golden. For classic sauté work, they are great. Try 'em.

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have three different size cast iron skillets. For some things nothing comes close to the results you get from them.

All Clad, Lodge CI, T-Fal nonstick, Le Creuset.

I like to be able to move the All Clad and CI from the stove to the oven if the recipe calls for it. Like the replaceable T-Fal when the time comes. Love my Le Creuset Dutch Oven.

I like to be able to put the CI on the grill!

Methinks that if you have the right cast of SS, CI, and NS, you can't go wrong. BTW, we have a set of Amway Queen pots and pans that are over 20 yrs old and indestructible!

--Ed
                Last edited by Medusa; December 7, 2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• HC in SC
                  HC in SC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We had an old set of Made in the USA Revere Ware with the copper bottoms. Those suckers wouldn't give up. Ended up selling them on eBay for enough to pay for 1/2 of the new Emeril set. You could throw one of those pots in a raging campfire, then after it died down, just pull it out, shine it up and keep on rocking. Kinda miss the old Revere Ware. We looked at the new Revere Ware when shopping, but it is cheap crap Made in China.

Marauder - looks like you already made a decision, but I will contribute to the thread anyway. We were a bit constrained when we remodeled our kitchen 7 or 8 years ago and put in an induction stove top. Had to get rid of our aluminum Analon/Calphalon. We bought Demeyere SS as there was a discount offered. Love them as a base set. I've added others through the years - a couple of Le Creuset Dutch ovens, an All Clad sauté pan, a Silit fry pan, etc.

Comment

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I looked hard at the Demeyere. I especially like the welded on handles without any rivets. I had a couple $K of Calphalon but didn't want the anodized aluminum so I got rid of it for the SS. If everybody liked the same thing there would only be one cookware for sale. I have learned so much from this thread and have thoroughly enjoyed all the posts that folks have made with their experiences and what works for them.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here