Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Steel pan seasoning..what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Steel pan seasoning..what am I doing wrong?

I purchased a Matfer 7" carbon steel crepe pan to cook eggs. My first attempt at seasoning was the cooks illustrated method (also directions that came with the pan) using potato peels and lots of salt and oil. Once done, I tried to cook a slice of fatty bacon...major fail. So, I scrubbed the pan clean and seasoned it using the Volrath method...multiple coats (I did 13) of Flax seed oil. The pan had a beautiful, dark and slick season all over. Giddy, I fried up a piece of fatty bacon...and again...fail. The bacon stuck and left residue that had to be scrubbed out. So, I seasoned the bottom again with flax seed oil. Third bacon fry...fail. What am I doing wrong? I was planning to add a large carbon steel fry pan but my initial attempts with the small pan have left me more than disappointed.

Just a swag here but it sounds like your bacon might have a high sugar content and that your pan temp might be awfully high. I've got a carbon steel de Buyer wok that I have similar problems with if I'm not really careful when it gets wicked hot.

Comment

Roger that MBMorgan . On the second bacon fry, the pan was hot but but not quite wicked hot. On the third bacon fry, the pan was hot enough for an initial sizzle and the temp was moderated accordingly. I may scrub out all the seasoning and try the Crisco/oven method. If that doesn't work, I'll give up and go buy yet another non-stick pan

Comment

Found this on YouTube ... might shed a little more light on things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXp6KRw_Qzo

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx for the link. Some info I hadn't seen before.

I'd try the crisco or bacon fat in the oven method. Once cool I'd start with some kind of veggie stir-fry. And then another. And another. In other words try a slow build up of seasoning. Between each fry wash with just hot water and then dry. Once dry (which you can do on low heat on the stove) and while the pan is still pretty warm rub in some vegetable oil with a paper towel. If you do this often enough you will get a gradual build up of seasoning and then you will have a pretty good non-stick pan. I used this approach on my big de Buyer carbon and it now works very well. This is what I do with my cast iron. With a little patience you will be successful. Good luck!

Comment

Howdy, from 7.62 x 54 mm R! ;-) (1943 Mosin Nagant Sniper rifle) (tied for 2nd fave, after my .300 WinMag/.338 Lapua)

I've seasoned tons of cast iron stuff, but never tried carbon steel.. is there a fundamental difference in how that would be accomplished? Stupid, naive me, I would try what I know for cast, not knowing any different.

Old dog, looking forward to learning new tricks...

Comment

I watched the Youtube video that Mbmorgan recommended and it said that the seasoning process for carbon is, essentially, the same as cast iron. I use cast iron a lot. I use olive oil to season. The secret to making it non-stick is the repeated cooking/seasoning. It can take as many as 10 cooks before you really start to get it seasoned properly. Good luck and don't give up.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here