Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wok use on glass top electric stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use my flat bottomed CS wok from The Wok Shop all the time on my Thermador ceramic/glass cooktop. I have a selector that allows the burner to stay on all the time, not cycle on/off like many glass cooktop ranges do. It gets my wok plenty hot. No warping yet after 3 years of moderate use.

That said, I prefer using it on my 30K BTU Camp Chef Somerset IV outdoor gas range. Those 30K BTU do a great job, either for stir frying or for deep frying in the wok.

I also use cast iron on my ceramic/glass cooktop. Like jfmorris says, I'm careful not to slide the pots on it, though. Not so much for our daughters who like to gift us with a meal cooked entirely by them whenever they visit. Their meal means they make the mess, scratch my cooktop with CI cookware unless I warn them (ask me how I know ), and my hubby and I do the cleanup because the kids have imbibed too much of our good wine at dinner to be of much use. Who says our kids aren't smarter than we are???

Kathryn

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm jealous of the "on all the time" setting!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Dan, there's a feature called Zone Smart on my Thermador range which automatically adjusts the heat to the pan based on the setting. But the cooktop also allows disabling the Zone Smart feature, which is a really nifty option for wok cooking and/or for deep frying, since the burner stays on at the selected heat setting all the time.

Kathryn

I use a flat bottomed wok on my (non induction) glass top electric stove. It works fine.

Comment

I've scoured the reviews of many. Certainly, Wok Shop is up there. So is Yosukata Black Carbon Wok Pan. Only 3# , wooden handle and it comes pre-seasoned but I would do that anyway. One thing that I can't get past with the WOK SHOP shipping costs. The product is $40 and shipping is $25. I know they are a small business and have only been in business for 48 years. I can't do that. I wish them the best not that they need that from me. So here's the one I'm going with. Amazon, free returns so not happy back it goes. Thanks for all the input. Now I need to learn how to cook in it. Yeah, I'll get a recipe book. I know there have been some suggestions here. One step at a time. Right now "The Wok" by KenJi is in the wish list.

UPDATE: The WOK arrived and It's packed up to go back. Something about it just didn't sit right in feel and finish. Almost like some blemishes on it. Oh well, I'll continue the adventure. I might go back to the Lodge. Yeah, it's heavy, but it's a Lodge. It is either that or the WOK SHOP.
      Last edited by RichieB; March 5, 2023, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully you are going with at least a 14”?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked at the Yosukata and noticed it has a round bottom - that would not work for me even though the listing sez it will work on ceramic.

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        13.5". I will deal with the .5". This is flat bottom.

I thought I had put a screen capture in of the wok. Here's the link from their website.

Buy • 13,5-inch Pre-Seasoned Black Carbon Steel Wok with Flat Bottom • on Yosukata&#10004. Discover the rich, authentic flavors of Chinese & other Asian cuisines in your own home&#10004

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny thing there... The web page says "Japanese quality". But "manufactured in China" down at the bottom of the page...

I wish my round bottomed wok wasn't stuck in storage.
      It has a fire ring to allow it to be used on electric burners.

Woks with flat bottoms aren't really woks at all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here