Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I return this carbon steel pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recommend the Debuyer. They are not unreasonably priced. I don't have a induction burner so can't speak to that. They have some pans without handles.

Comment

So what are the uses for this pan? Is it just to have something carbon steel to use in your kitchen? I've made it a lot of years using non-stick, stainless and cast iron skillets, and the only carbon steel I have right now is my 14" flat bottomed wok (from The Wok Shop).

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it's mainly because I want to try out carbon steel. It'll be used for cooking LARGE meals that are stewed, braised, in and out of the oven, smoker, etc. Another reason for the lack of a handle, it takes up less room in the smoker, in the cabinet, etc. Searing large roasts before slow-cooking or searing large amounts of meat I don't want to go outside and fire up the griddle for, etc.

DogFaced PonySoldier I see Richard Chrz using a Lodge paella pan, which I believe is carbon steel, a LOT, on the grill. He seems to love it. And Lodge stuff is usually pretty readily available. Have you looked at that one? Maybe Richard can comment on how flat it is, or if he has tried it with induction.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I see Lodge has a carbon steel paella in a 15" on Amazon. Price is right, too, like I said, just a little leery now. I'll have to think on it.

I really think that once you get used to cooking on CS you will be pleased. For me it is my go to pan.

Comment

As jfmorris indicated. I have a lodge 15-inch carbon steel Paella pan. I LOVE it! I abuse the heck out of it, and it just keeps being a great pan.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Heck, at times, I put mine directly on Wood embers or coals,
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 8, 2022, 10:07 AM.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        Editing a comment
        Maybe I'll give it a try and it'll be flat enough to get good use out of. Thanks for the feedback Richard Chrz

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here