Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Steel Wok Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    My primary interest is for Thai food, which often involves a great deal of liquid. For other stir fry I will stick with the Camp Chef, for sure.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    Good info RickyBobby. Thanks, brother.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    I have a gas stove and think that the majority of the time I'll be using it inside.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm sure you do. I'm still sore from that tv purchase or I might harvest an organ to pay for that.

• Panhead John
    replied
    hoovarmin Hey buddy, I think you should get this one, itโ€™s 9% off!

https://www.wayfair.com/STARSKY--Hyb...BoCeVQQAvD_BwE

Click image for larger version  Name:	F1521331-FED1-44CE-9146-F6EDA84A3629.png Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	1253477

Leave a comment:

• RickyBobby
    replied
    +1 for The Wok Shop. I bought one there several years ago and have been happy with it. I didnโ€™t have a ton of money at the time and got a more entry level model. After time and a couple of cross country moves, it still works well, though Iโ€™m probably due for an upgraded replacement. I was cooking on an electric stove at the time so I opted the flat bottom. The replacement with absolutely be round bottom as I seem to get better results in my parents round bottom one. I think itโ€™s because I can "roll" the wok around better while cooking and get better movement of the food. Could be all in my head, but I also feel more legit since itโ€™s what I used to see when I lived in Beijing. Let us know what you end up with!

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    grantgallagher Misremembering? Now I'm worried ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜œ

• jfmorris
    replied
    I have a 14" carbon steel wok from The Wok Shop - flat bottom with the metal helper handle. That way I can unscrew the wooden handle and season it in the oven, use it on the grill, etc, without worrying about burning a non-removable wooden helper handle.

For 4 to 8, you may want the next size up. I find the 14" adequate for meals for 2 to 4. With wok cooking you learn to do batches of stuff, then combine it all at the end. On the flat top, I can do all the different items at the same time on different parts of the flat top, then combine. With the wok it is each element of the meal, like meat, set aside, then veggies, then combine.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    hoovarmin I already had an older round bottom wok. So I purchased a flat bottom one. I can use it any type of burner.

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    On the grill, or on the stove top?

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    Carbon steel paella pan 15 inch, lodge. I keep falling more in love with that pan.

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    That depends entirely on how you wish to use it and what your cooktop is like. Mine is induction so I have a flat bottom. On a gas cooker, lots of people do round with a ring to support it.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    So ofelles and Jim White, flat or round bottom?

• grantgallagher
    replied
    whatever the hell Richard Chrz uses for those potatoes of his. i think that was a carbon steel wok but i could be misremembering

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    They are great. I ordered from them, too. And FireMan was the one whose recommendation I went on.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here