Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon steel pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon steel pans

My wife's cousin insists that my carbon steel pan is a mess.
    I say it's just getting broken in...
    What say you? Click image for larger version

Name:	20220628_055509.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1243715

Now that is a pan.

Comment

I just realized how much I need one

Comment

Yes, it's a mess! Send it to me ASAP and I will try to restore it for you. It may be beyond repair, in which case I will handle it appropriately...

Comment

• Finster
          Finster commented
          Editing a comment
          ^^^^^ helpful & Nice. 😄

• Greygoose
          Greygoose commented
          Editing a comment
          This,,LOL

• Jessterr
          Jessterr commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with CaptainMike, it is a mess. But I will generously give you $2 for its value as scrap metal so you would at least get something, although I would ask that you cut me a break and pay for shipping. (BTW, to anyone, this one is obvious but how do you attach smiley faces and such on this site so peeps will know with certainty when I’m BS’ing them? I haven’t figured it out).

Ditch the cousin, not the pan.

Comment

Almost like looking at the Mona Lisa !!!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome!

Finster does that cousin think you need to steel wool a pan to bright and shiny after each cook, or are they saying you seasoning is not even?

That looks about like the inside of my 14" carbon steel wok I got back in the winter.

Comment

• Finster
            Finster commented
            Editing a comment
            She means the uneven patina...
            It's just what naturally happened with use 🤷‍♂️

If it is smooth and slick, you are good to go. I stopped worrying about the even finish on mine.

BTW, Anyone have luck with the potato skin/salt/oil method for seasoning the manufacturers recommend?. I did not. Nuked it back to bare and started treating it like a cast iron pan.

Comment

• Finster
            Finster commented
            Editing a comment
            I did it with both of mine, more than once each, but more to make sure there was no residual gunk left over from manufacturing and storage before sale.
            Afterwards, I seasoned it with oil, in the oven, just like I did with my cast iron...

I would say he does not know what he is talking about. Good job!

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Cousin is totally wrong! That pan is fine… 😎

Comment

I wish the seasoning on mine was that nice.

Comment

I sort of neglected mine. I have to clean it and start all over

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here