Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be personal with yer Wok.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be personal with yer Wok.

A cardinal rule with my wok has been the cleaning and carin of it. Well, fer the first time in 3 years I had some friends over for a mighty fine Chinese dinner. Borrowed some tips from Kenji’s book in the use of baking soda for flank steak cut into fingerlings & also soaking shrimp with some baking soda solution. Five dishes in all from Grace Young’s the breath of Wok, nuthin special. Had a great time, especially cookin fer someone, 6 people all told. Out of the kindness of her heart one of the guests did my dishes. Long story short, I did see her using dish soap on my wok. I thought, eh this one time won’t kill it. After sittin in my dish strainer for about 2 hours I picked it up, flipped it around & was greeted with a whole bunch of brown stuff. Figured she used the Brillo part of the sponge to clean that sucker. Wow! I mean Wow! No one has ever cleaned one of my woks & no one ever will again. Lesson: guard yer wok wiff yer life, yessir!
    Last edited by FireMan; May 1, 2022, 06:58 PM.

I hope your wok recovers from its traumatic experience.

Comment

Isnt there a saying about "teach a man to fish?" In this context, you'd be better off taking your guest aside and telling her to...."Wok this Way."

I'll show myself out....

Comment

Can't be mad at that, though if appropriate maybe invite the cleaning lady to assist you in reseasoning. Not as a punishment, but as a friendly education moment
        Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; May 2, 2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a delightful evening overall. It's always fun to feed friends.

Sorry about what happened to your wok, though.

But I'm even more sorry we didn't get pictures of the yummy dishes you prepared.

Comment

That's tough, but what was once seasoned will be seasoned again in time.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup! No problemo.

I have nightmares of my wife being nice and cleaning my Blackstone. She actually knows not to but it still scares me.

She doesn’t let me sort the laundry. I can pick up the piles and start the machine but that’s it.

Comment

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my mottos is "Be careful what you get good at". Sounds like you've applied that advice on the laundry front.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim White - mixing red with whites and putting bras in the dryer sent me to exile island a couple of times.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I ruined something of my wife's many years ago and have not been allowed to launder anything of hers' without direct supervision. And I'm OK with that 'cause at that point she will do it herself.

I had a buddy over when I was in college and he'd never had a dishwasher before. We drank too much and I nodded off early. He thought he'd be helpful and load and run the dishwasher, so he did, only he used dish soap instead of dishwasher soap. Woke up to the door blown off the dishwasher and about 2 feet of suds all through the apartment. Watch out for people who feel obligated to be helpful.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahahahaha

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              I did that once...who knew there was a difference...lol.

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              Old Glory you know now, lol!

Yeah, tough on your new wok, but great to see you cooking for folks!

Comment

My wife and I have been married 49yrs, she learned about 48 ago, to leave my cast iron alone.

Comment

Mixed emotions there. Glad you were able to have some much needed gettin' together.

Comment

Wow! She meant well.

Sounds like my one son in law who destroyed all of his grandmothers cast iron by using Brillo pads on them and also running them through the dishwasher. This happened before he married my daughter. I was able to recover one skillet and re-season it, but the other was a lost cause. My daughter doesn't let him touch the cast iron now, and he has been educated on its care. Some people just don't know or understand.

Another time, I had to pay to get my Thermapen serviced when my daughter in law ran it through the sink full of soapy water while cleaning up after a meal one time. Not sure why she felt it was waterproof, cause it wasn't! Now I am sure to wipe my thermometer off and stick it back in the drawer and not leave it laying around with the dirty dishes....

Comment

The nice thing is that, as many of us know from personal experience, it is possible to restore cast iron that looks terrible to almost new. I hope the same is true for carbon steel. My favorite cast iron pan is one in which hung out in my garage for a decade and looked horrible.

A serious amount of work over a few days got the rust off and two years later after weekly cooks, it looks magnificent.

Comment

• RichardCullip
                      RichardCullip commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Michael_in_TX - What was your process in removing the rust and restoring your cast iron to almost new condition?

• Michael_in_TX
                      Michael_in_TX commented
                      Editing a comment
                      RichardCullip A lot, and I mean, a lot of steel wool scrubbing. Also a few runs in the oven self-clean cycle to burn off anything. Much of the restore work was just in using it nearly weekly for two years. Once I got the rust off, initially, it did look pretty poor.

• RichardCullip
                      RichardCullip commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks

There is a PS. to this. Lookin what I pulled out of my dish washer. It was before Inturned it on. Glad I checked.Click image for larger version  Name:	CBDF5AA3-20D3-4CFF-AB77-584C82E13641.jpg Views:	32 Size:	3.55 MB ID:	1215351
                    Last edited by FireMan; May 3, 2022, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Aww, they had two little babies!

• Panhead John
                      Panhead John commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So, what the heck WAS going on in that dishwasher?

• Locotech
                      Locotech commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yikes

I'll make you a deal. If you invite me over, I'll trash your place one end to the other, and leave without so much as a "thank you".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here