Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My girlfriend surprised me with this gift today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woks work. We began using them in Japan when we were first married in 1966 and have never quit. I'm sure with the new books available we could improve on what we have learned but we are still going through the recipes from 60+ years ago.

Comment

It is a great book! Great gift, very thoughtful. Before you go out & buy any equipment, peruse thru the book. The important thing is the tool the book is named after.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not in a huge rush but I've already read Kenji's wok recommendations and know which wok burner I want. But I will take your advice.

It's a fun book to work your way through. You'll thank your girlfriend every single time you use it, because each use makes you a better wok cook.

There's a lot of meat in it, pun intended. I particularly enjoy the way the prep and cooking techniques are interspersed among the recipes. It makes re-locating them difficult since they're not in all one place, but to have consolidated them would have make the book read more like a treatise.

He has some methods that I simply cannot do--washing sliced meat for stir fries is one of them (pg. 49)--not enough bang for all that salmonella exposure buck with chicken, for example, but to each his/her own.

He has some quirky workarounds like using Popeye's fried chicken nuggets for General Tso's chicken (page 487). Who woulda thunk?

My only complaint: it's so big and heavy that it's hard to read in bed. When it thuds onto my chest as I am falling asleep, it's a real wakeup moment.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; April 22, 2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

i picked it up last month and i am working my way through it now. I can say this much, the beef with broccoli recipe from this book is perfect. best Asian dish i have ever made. I don't buy many "cookbooks" anymore but the ones I do are like this one that dig into the how and why not just a list of ingredients.

Comment

I really like my wok from The Wok Shop. Still not seasoned where I want it to be, but then again, things are not sticking either. If I am going outside to cook, I'll likely keep on using the flattop, since I have it. The wok is for fun cooking on the stove inside, when I don't feel like dealing with the grills, or am cooking just for 2.

I am still torn on ordering this book in print or Kindle version. The kindle version on my 12.9" iPad Pro would be about as big as the book...
          Last edited by jfmorris; April 22, 2022, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never been able to get the hang of using cookbooks on Kindle. I do too much flipping back and forth when comparing recipes or techniques. The fact that he puts a lot of technique information right in with the recipe sections would make it harder to find them on the Kindle, IMO. Besides, it's a beautiful book.

The plus of a Kindle might be that it would be easier to copy/paste into Paprika, maybe. After I try a recipe from the book, I manually enter it into Paprika with any changes I made.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc I have had success using my phone's camera to recognize and copy the text from cookbooks. I can usually copy the ingredients and then the directions and paste them into Paprika. Occasionally I have to correct this or that but not very often.

Y’all are triggering my MCBS (more cookbook syndrome). And I am staring at my wok that has been sitting on a high shelf for way too long……

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            No time like the present, SheilaAnn . Give that wok some love.

If you go to the Amazon page for the book https://www.amazon.com/Wok-Technique...dp/0393541215/
            and click Look Inside, scroll down to pages 61-64 you'll find a couple of good recipes to try: Chinese American Kung Pao Chicken and Gong Bao Ji Ding (Sichuan Chicken with Peanuts). There's a lot of great info on the pages before that in the book sample as well.

Kathryn

Looking forward to hearing about some recipes and pics of course.

Been following "The Woks of Life" but haven't made anything of theirs yet.

Comment

Your girlfriend is wonderful!

Comment

Great, now I have to go get that book! Thanks a lot….
              😜😎

Comment

Now you gotta get her a ring...in the words of Rohn White-"Diamonds, that'll shut her up." Lol.

Last edited by texastweeter; April 23, 2022, 08:08 AM.

Comment

I picked up a wok at Sears back in 2005.
                  It’s still in the box. I guess I better pick up this book.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here