Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My girlfriend surprised me with this gift today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girlfriend surprised me with this gift today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SY0WTtn-Tl-ZBW_J667ryzB3HbpSnOQZ4cxrhe9h22Pe9-NATJiweJbc13Eq87BsmW0PvyYaP_rslHBq3Y1GiTN3rlcWedL4UNn9mUS2jXQ1w0G2I2oa1dp4uIPSW2f7uawqITe_QdAfDYnAiFIAnHJv9l9p31aVLCb-4vIjYid1qLENWYLXMMZ9CpzTTUCtHTVO2xikd6zAn_00ZfT1XcYK7Xc276jd8ZDYR6YE8l3MRst-HEejUTxbb1lpbAb
Views:	328
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1210492

What a great gift, right? I guess now I have to buy a wok. I have been talking about my new plan to finish off the last part of the outdoor kitchen which is to add a wok burner next to the EVO. My nephew already bought the one Kenji recommends and that's the one I plan to get as well.

she gotta sister....

Comment

A clever and not so subtle push perhaps? Regardless, very nice gift.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Perhaps!

Looks like she’s a keeper!

Comment

Sweeeeeet. I love cooking with a wok. Don’t do it often enough though.
        Enjoy

Comment

Well, you know that book is going to be legit.

Comment

• Mark V
            Mark V commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, Kenji has proven himself on cooking. When I am looking for recipes or techniques, I google his name first.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Mark V same here, it is my first and often last stop. I have a wok and rarely use it, but now i am wanting this book.

Good present. My wife is in charge of the WOK and we really enjoy the meals, lots of fun.

Comment

I'm thinking she benefits greatly from this, but still a great gift.

And my wok is now at a simmer with a clean out the fridge stir-fry-curry concoction.

Comment

I'm workin' my way through that book now - great gift.

Comment

I never have Shaoxing wine and I'm often cooking recipes that require it. I usually substitute dry vermouth. So I ordered some online and it arrived today, the same day I got the book. I flipped through it very briefly before heading back to the office to work and immediately learned something. I saw "Shaoxing wine" so I read the blurb. Kenji said 75% of the recipes in the book require Shaoxing wine and to be sure not to buy "Shaoxing wine cooking wine" because it has added salt thus making seasoning of the dish more tricky. Of course, the wine I ordered was the cooking wine.

Comment

• Jim White
                  Jim White commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Try Posharp:

The brand name of this Shaoxing rice wine is well known inside China. It has no salt added to give you the maximum flexibility to use.

I usually get two or three bottles at a time from them.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  mnavarre yeah, that was his point. The other likely ingredients are also salty so he recommended getting non salted wine. He also said it's not the end of the world if you can't get it unsalted but that you'll need to consider that factor.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with mnavarre , there are many other components that have a greater impact on salt than the Shaoxing wine. It's nearly impossible to find Shaoxing wine that is not cooking wine, for me at least. I've asked my local wine shop to try to source some for me. Still waiting.

Grace Young in her excellent Breath of a Wok book features the Shaoxing cooking wine that I use. If you have a Chinese liquor store near you, perhaps you can find the unsalted type.

Kathryn

She's just trying to get out of KP for the next month

Comment

Keep her.

Comment

Nice - what a thoughtful gift.

Comment

Outstanding gift, and I agree -- a keeper for sure

I just wish Kenji would have titled it Wok This Way.

Comment

• mnavarre
                        mnavarre commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Wok You Like a Hurricane", "Wok on the Wild Side", " For Those About to Wok", "Wok Tall, Wok Proud".

All missed opportunities, but most publishers don't have a sense of humor. Not even Kenji's sense of humor, and certainly not mine.

• DaveD
                        DaveD commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wok Like an Egyptian.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        He's got plenty of wok puns in his book.

Kathryn

Great book!

I like wok cooking as much as I like grilling.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here