Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Carbon Steel Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Carbon Steel Pan

I'm excited for the first cook in my new carbon steel pan. I have a couple CI pans I got from my mom but this is my first time using a carbon steel, unless you count the griddle I use on my outdoor stove.

I don't think the potato skins used for the seasoning process count as the first cook. They did smell good enough to eat at one point in the process but were pretty unappetizing by the time they cooked in hot oil and salt for 15 minutes. Next two photos are round 1 seasoning and round 2 put it's hard to tell much difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pan1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1115075

Name:	pan2.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1115076

Name:	pan3.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1115077

And just for fun - here's the brisket that is smoking away in the background of picture 1.

Name:	brisket.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1115078

That method did not work for me at all, followed mfr directions to the T. Treating it like a cast iron pan did the trick.

Comment

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      bmillin I haven't cooked in the pan yet, so I don't know how well it worked. What kind of issues did you have? I'm just wondering what to look out for. I did read on the mfg website that if you're using it on an smooth top or induction burner they recommend the CI/oven method to season initially. I have a smooth top so I did the seasoning on my gasser side burner.

Enjoy it!

Comment

Nice pan.

Comment

Hmmmm, I'll take the brisket please.

Comment

I had a hard time with the first carbon steel pan we got. As mentioned, the mfg's instructions didn't seem to work. The oil got goey, instead of turning into a carbonized layer of non stick delightfulness. Once seasoned in the oven like CI, it is amazing. All the nonstick awesomeness of CI, but super fast and very even heat transfer. I love it.

And the brisket looks amazing!

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            I've had the issue with gooey/tacky seasonings on both cast iron and carbon steel. I believe it comes from using too much oil. The key is to warm the pan up a bit, wipe on a little oil, then wipe it off until you think it's dry. What's left in the "pores" of the metal will be enough.

Rinse lather repeat.

I have always followed this method for seasoning my carbon steel pans with very good luck.
          To me the secret has been patience. After the initial seasoning I will continue to lightly oil and heat the pan for another dozn cooks.
          Introducing a very easy and foolproof way to season your new carbon steel pan, so it will become nonstick and last a lifetime.

I have been using this on the carbon steel, and it works wonderfully on the Blackstone.

Last edited by Debra; October 24, 2021, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            So far, no need fer CS.

I'll keep y'all posted, though...

• Caffeine88
            Caffeine88 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, it's not a neeeed, Mr. Bones but trust me - once you try it, you'll understand the need! 😁

• Debra
            Debra commented
            Editing a comment
            I resisted the urge towards carbon steel for years but once tried it is equal to cast iron and surpasses stainless steel by far in my opinion. That said my Grandmothers cast iron set which was given to her as a wedding gift will always have its place in my kitchen. A cast iron dutch oven has no equal.

Would really like to have one of those pans. Where did you purchase yours? I know Lodge also sells carbon steel.

Comment

• jerrybell
            jerrybell commented
            Editing a comment
            I ordered from Amazon. This one is a Matfer Bourgeat. I like the welded handle, instead of rivets and it seems like a nice thickness.

DavidNorcross Sur La Table has decent sales at the holidays. This is the skillet I bought, and it happens to be on 20% off today. They'll have another Christmas markdown in a month or so.

Comment

Speaking of seasoning:

Seasoning Your Baking Sheets to Improve Browning - YouTube

Comment

Ahem, see seasoning & care of a wok.

Comment

FireMan. First we need to know which Wok will wook..
                I will be in need shortly.

Comment

• Caffeine88
                  Caffeine88 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is a fine question, to which I do not have an answer! I know I'm pretty happy with the small flat in this one, and suspect having just a round bottom would annoy me. I like being able to have a little space to spread out.

Maybe a real wok expert has an opinion with actual experience to support it?

• Debra
                  Debra commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Caffeine88 All of my previous Woks have been flat bottom so my experience is limited to them also. I am not certain if the difference would be noticeable.

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We have an electric stove with a ceramic top, so I must use a flat bottom wok. Every one that I have had warps at high temps so that the flat bottom does not fully contact the burner. I don't think a round bottom wok would warp, but I would lose the larger flat area that I like...

I use cast iron on the grill, but have looked at carbon steel. So tempting…

Comment

StrikeBBQ , I use CI skillets & griddle on the grill as well as my carbon steel wok (flat bottom).
                  Last edited by FireMan; October 25, 2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the new pan. Seasoning takes time, but it will develop. Things won't happen over night, but the more you cook with it, the better it gets.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here