Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron Myths by Mashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron Myths by Mashed

Interesting info. Like it.

Comment

Good info, but man her voice starts to grate on me after awhile.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        She sounds like she could be a character on The Big Bang Theory.

I scrub the crud out of mine and almost always use dawn. I don’t hesitate with tomato based stuff either. Foo-eey myths.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        OooRaahh!!!

Me Too!!!!

Merrily, We Roll Along, Roll Along...

What kind of mulyak uses that much oil to season CI?

Comment

• Sam6687
        Sam6687 commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen, that much oil made me cringe.

Thanks Bones! Love cooking in my cast iron.

Comment

I scrape my cast iron with a plastic scraper after use under running hot water. Then I use the scrubber side or a sponge and rinse. I only use soap if there's a good reason to. For instance, if I was cooking fish. I then put the pan on a burner on high and when it's dry I wipe a little avocado oil in it and let it get to the smoke point, wipe, and let it cool.

I typically choose cast iron for tomato or other acidic foods especially if it's a long cook.

Yesterday I received Crisbee Puck. I've never used one before. I'm looking forward to seeing how works.
        Last edited by Attjack; February 23, 2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Huh. Crisbee is soybean oil, beeswax, palm oil. A competitor BuzzyWaxx canola, grapeseed, beeswax. Their "Erie" blend is avocado, sunflower, beeswax. They're all softish pastes. I'm struck by the similarity of these products to homemade lip balm. The rule of thumb for lip balm is about 1/3 beeswax and 2/3 liquid oils. Add a bit more wax to firm the balm, a bit less to soften. To make, slowly melt all ingredients until the wax is fully melted and pour into containers. Easy and cheap to make.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          I love Crisbee's marketing:

"Cast Iron Seasoning Oil & Conditioner". What is a conditioner?Do we have to lather, rinse and repeat?

"Plant Based Oils With Beeswax". I'm glad the oils are now plant based. Using Mobil-1 on my cast iron made things taste funny.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          IowaGirl - But they put conditioner in their product so your cast iron will have that soft feel and radiant glow.

Good post Mr. Bones, not sure what brings on louder arguments politics or arguing about cleaning cast iron with soap, lol.

Comment

You Posted Good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here