Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cast iron rib roaster for bread (and ribs?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cast iron rib roaster for bread (and ribs?)

Just ordered this from Amazon, a Broil King cast iron rib roaster. I intend to use it for bread just like my round dutch oven, but obviously for different shapes. Instead of all round loaves I can get more oval shapes made, better for sandwiches and some other things. I have high hopes for baguettes. I have a baguette pan that I can cut down to fit and hold the shape. Then no more hassle with steam in the oven. This is half to a fourth the cost of a similarly shaped bread baker, a really good price right now.

I think it could come in handy as a roaster also. I will have to try ribs in it at some point, sorry. Something with a lot of flavor to make up for lack of smoke. Or maybe this could take the place of wrapping the ribs to finish? Easy enough to put liquid in the bottom. Not all my ideas have worked out, but this looks promising.

Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Just in case ya don't know how to shape a batard, here's a video. There are a ton on youtube...

If you do use this for bread, it will be easier to place the dough in it if you use it upside down. High walled and very hot is not a good or safe combination. And you won't need the baguette pan. Just cut a piece of parchment paper longer than the dough, set the dough on the paper, and lift by the ends to place in the upturned top of the hot roaster.

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      I do bread upside down with my DO now, will continue with this. I also use parchment paper for all my breads, so easy. I will use the baguette pan though, maybe without parchment, because it will give me the rounded shape I want with a baguette and hold it off the cast iron to give the crust I want. With the pan, the paper might shield the bottom of the bread from the heat though. Will have to see.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark V - nothin' sez you can't try it both ways...

I bet a frozen loaf of bread dough will fit nicely.
    Fresh bread, butter, and PBR.
    Thank you.

Comment

Mark V be sure to let us know how it turns out. It looks fun for bread at least. Interesting concept.

Comment

That looks kinda cool. I might have to get one for bread. As you say, it’s a lot less expensive than a bread baker of that size. Heavy, though!

Comment

That's a HUGE loaf, though. You're likely looking a a 3-4lb dough to fill it.

Comment

• Mark V
            Mark V commented
            Editing a comment
            I won't be filling it! Normal size loaves, the extra size shouldn't matter. Same as the do's that I use. I don't mean it to be a replacement for a pullman pan.

You could totally use that instead of wrapping ribs. I like it, that is a versatile tool to have in the arsenal.

Comment

Made spare ribs in it, just curious. Took 50 minutes. They were done well but needed a LOT of sauce, really missed the smoke! Won't do that again but will use it in place of wrapping after being on a smoker.

Made a modified Forkish bread, half the double fed sweet levain recipe, but substituted in King Arthur white whole wheat for 1/3 of the flour. Proofed it overnight in the fridge in a large pullman pan with parchment underneath, then just lifted it out by the paper and set in the cooker for the oven, easy. Happy with how it came out.

I like this shape better than a boule for most things, so this will be my go to bread baker for most things.

Click image for larger version  Name:	white ww whole.jpg Views:	0 Size:	866.0 KB ID:	991127

Click image for larger version  Name:	white ww cut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	792.5 KB ID:	991128
            Last edited by Mark V; February 17, 2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice!

• Spike
              Spike commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you cook the spare ribs entirely in the BK Rib Roaster? The one youtube review had 3 baby back racks smoking for two hours flat on a pellet grill (no info on temerature) and then one hour in the BK Rib Roaster, followed by another 15 minutes back on the grill. Per the video, the racks were falling apart after one hour in the roaster, permitting the cook to pop the rib bones out for a boneless rib meat sandwich. Looked pretty good.

• Mark V
              Mark V commented
              Editing a comment
              I did cook ribs entirely in the roaster as a trial. As you would expect, they got very tender. If I used it again for ribs I would smoke them first and use this instead of wrapping
              but wrapping is actually easier and less to clean up. Works great for bread.

I've got ribs covered:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boiling Ribs.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	991155

... but this really would be interesting for bread.

Comment

• Mark V
              Mark V commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah. That is what the ribs were like. 9 bbq sauces in the fridge and I tried most of them to help, but can't come close to a plain smoked rib.

Are you using it indoors or on a grill? Gas or charcoal ?

Comment

Inside in the oven. It is made to be used outdoors but it is good for what I want inside.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here