Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cast iron rib roaster for bread (and ribs?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark V
    commented on 's reply
    I did cook ribs entirely in the roaster as a trial. As you would expect, they got very tender. If I used it again for ribs I would smoke them first and use this instead of wrapping
    but wrapping is actually easier and less to clean up. Works great for bread.

• Spike
    commented on 's reply
    Did you cook the spare ribs entirely in the BK Rib Roaster? The one youtube review had 3 baby back racks smoking for two hours flat on a pellet grill (no info on temerature) and then one hour in the BK Rib Roaster, followed by another 15 minutes back on the grill. Per the video, the racks were falling apart after one hour in the roaster, permitting the cook to pop the rib bones out for a boneless rib meat sandwich. Looked pretty good.

• Mark V
    replied
    Inside in the oven. It is made to be used outdoors but it is good for what I want inside.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    Are you using it indoors or on a grill? Gas or charcoal ?

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Nice!

• Mark V
    commented on 's reply
    Those big holes shouldn't be there. My first time shaping like that. Also, used the oven with the light on to rise the whole time, which I normally don't do but it was colder than normal.

• Mark V
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah. That is what the ribs were like. 9 bbq sauces in the fridge and I tried most of them to help, but can't come close to a plain smoked rib.

• MBMorgan
    replied
    I've got ribs covered:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boiling Ribs.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	991155

... but this really would be interesting for bread.

Leave a comment:

• Mark V
    replied
    Made spare ribs in it, just curious. Took 50 minutes. They were done well but needed a LOT of sauce, really missed the smoke! Won't do that again but will use it in place of wrapping after being on a smoker.

Made a modified Forkish bread, half the double fed sweet levain recipe, but substituted in King Arthur white whole wheat for 1/3 of the flour. Proofed it overnight in the fridge in a large pullman pan with parchment underneath, then just lifted it out by the paper and set in the cooker for the oven, easy. Happy with how it came out.

I like this shape better than a boule for most things, so this will be my go to bread baker for most things.

Click image for larger version  Name:	white ww whole.jpg Views:	0 Size:	866.0 KB ID:	991127

Click image for larger version  Name:	white ww cut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	792.5 KB ID:	991128
    Last edited by Mark V; February 17, 2021, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    You could totally use that instead of wrapping ribs. I like it, that is a versatile tool to have in the arsenal.

Leave a comment:

• Mark V
    commented on 's reply
    I won't be filling it! Normal size loaves, the extra size shouldn't matter. Same as the do's that I use. I don't mean it to be a replacement for a pullman pan.

• rickgregory
    replied
    That's a HUGE loaf, though. You're likely looking a a 3-4lb dough to fill it.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    That looks kinda cool. I might have to get one for bread. As you say, it’s a lot less expensive than a bread baker of that size. Heavy, though!

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Mark V be sure to let us know how it turns out. It looks fun for bread at least. Interesting concept.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied

I bet a frozen loaf of bread dough will fit nicely.
    Fresh bread, butter, and PBR.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here