Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cast iron rib roaster for bread (and ribs?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Mark V - nothin' sez you can't try it both ways...

• Mark V
    commented on 's reply
    I do bread upside down with my DO now, will continue with this. I also use parchment paper for all my breads, so easy. I will use the baguette pan though, maybe without parchment, because it will give me the rounded shape I want with a baguette and hold it off the cast iron to give the crust I want. With the pan, the paper might shield the bottom of the bread from the heat though. Will have to see.

• RonB
    replied
    Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Just in case ya don't know how to shape a batard, here's a video. There are a ton on youtube...

If you do use this for bread, it will be easier to place the dough in it if you use it upside down. High walled and very hot is not a good or safe combination. And you won't need the baguette pan. Just cut a piece of parchment paper longer than the dough, set the dough on the paper, and lift by the ends to place in the upturned top of the hot roaster.

Leave a comment:

• Mark V
    started a topic cast iron rib roaster for bread (and ribs?)

cast iron rib roaster for bread (and ribs?)

Just ordered this from Amazon, a Broil King cast iron rib roaster. I intend to use it for bread just like my round dutch oven, but obviously for different shapes. Instead of all round loaves I can get more oval shapes made, better for sandwiches and some other things. I have high hopes for baguettes. I have a baguette pan that I can cut down to fit and hold the shape. Then no more hassle with steam in the oven. This is half to a fourth the cost of a similarly shaped bread baker, a really good price right now.

I think it could come in handy as a roaster also. I will have to try ribs in it at some point, sorry. Something with a lot of flavor to make up for lack of smoke. Or maybe this could take the place of wrapping the ribs to finish? Easy enough to put liquid in the bottom. Not all my ideas have worked out, but this looks promising.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here