Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pollished cast iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pollished cast iron

Has anyone used or know anything about these?
    ONYX Fresh Australian Kitchen Super Pre-Seasoned Polished 12 Inch (30cm) Cast Iron Skillet
    Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	931855

I’ve never heard of this brand - you need Mr. Bones or Spinaker - they are the resident CI gurus!

Comment

It would be good to have a non-boutique non-antique option for polished cast iron. I haven’t heard of the company but I hope they make a good skillet.

Comment

Ill let you know. Just ordered the 10" from amazon. For 23 bucks and free shipping with prime if its garbage its not a big loss. I will say i am skeptical but we will see.

Comment

Many of the reviews (3 and below) say this pan is rubbish. A waste of money. Coating problems.
          let us know your finings.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            If it's a decent pan it wouldn't be hard to remedy the coating issue. Strip and season is a simple process.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            How can you have coating problems with CI? I mean, it's seasoning. Oil.

I do wonder if the people panning it (yes, I meant that one...) don't know jack about how to treat CI, esp early on.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with rickgregory. I bet some are expecting T-fal and just don't like CI. Who knows though, humans and all.

I have been thinking about carbon steel, great article here for comparison.

Having a hard time deciding between a carbon steel or cast iron skillet? Our guide here at Foodal can help you make this culinary decision. Read more now.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I went & ordered the 12" skillet so we will see how it turns out
            Last edited by Darchie03; November 1, 2020, 04:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Any company who uses super that many times in their advertisements is probably trying to sell you a bag of magic beans.

Comment

• Darchie03
                Darchie03 commented
                Editing a comment
                I like beans Must try the magic ones if they come with the skillet

Lookin forward to hearin yer take on this product, loves me some CI, btw...

Best of luck, bettin it will be fine, amigo!

Comment

Well, my 10" arrived today. Initial impression is that it feels much lighter than im used to for cast iron. It does feel extremely smooth. I cant decide if i want to do one treatment with larbee stick before cooking or just test out of the box, as it were. Ill try to cook something in it today or tomorrow and we will see how it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0908.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	932546Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0909.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	932547Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0911.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	932548

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Old CI is light in comparison to things like Lodge which are ridiculously thick and heavy.

• grantgallagher
                  grantgallagher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  rickgregory i didnt know that. Dont own a lot of CI at all. Will be doing some shrimp in it today for late lunch shrimp and grits.

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grant - I was surprised the other way when I bought a lodge combo cooker. The bottom/flat can be used as a skillet but it's MUCh thicker than my old Wagner CI. The advantage is that it also holds more heat and, if you pre-heat it, is a bit more even.

It's chinese. That right there is a deal breaker.

Comment

My initial impression of this pan is favorable. It is a thinner casting with an even thickness throughout. The bottom is flat. The handle is well shaped and comfortable. The cooking surface is smooth and the "seasoning" appears to be even and durable.
                  I will reserve my final judgement until I have used this skillet for cooking and baking.
                  Although the skillet is manufactured in China, the usual "Made in China" statement is not molded or stamped into the casting. In fact, there are no markings anywhere. Lodge's enameled cast iron is made in China and Lodge avoids the "Made in China" marking as well. The world economy and not our personal preferences dictate where everything is manufactured.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                    Bkhuna commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My personal preferences are not to but radioactive drywall, carcinogenic fish, tainted toys, tainted agricultur prodcts, toxic toothpaste, poisoned candy, or contaminated dog food.

I don't care why a product is made in China, I only care that the things I buy aren't harmful and that I don't prop up their government with my hard earned dollars.

OK, so i did my first cook with the 10" version of this CI skillet and i have to say I am impressed. I decided against doing any of my own seasoning first so as to test it straight out of the box. All i did was give it a rinse and thorough dry over heat.

Dusted some shrimp in a little salt and spiceology raspberry chipotle rub and then seared in the pan with butter. It was completely, i repeat completely, non stick out of the box. Shrimp got a nice sear/char and nothing stuck to the pan afterwards. Cleaned up very easily with just some water while the pan was still hot.

Obviously will need to see how it holds up over time but for $23 and free amazon shipping, im calling this a winner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0913.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	933188

Comment

• grantgallagher
                    grantgallagher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One thing i will add, I would recommend some kind of silicon handle cover as it does get pretty darn hot, probably not shocking i know.

If it's smooth and that inexpensive, whether the seasoning is good or not is not an issue for me. Consistent thickness in the casting is more important.

Comment

looks good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here