Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning CI on charcoal grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Absolutely LA Pork Butt

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker Would peanut oil work?

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker Thanks.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    You can try egg, my friend. Just make sure you have enough oil in there and you watch the heat. I like to fry bacon first, then add the eggs to the grease, it is a great way to get the seasoning rocking!

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Indirect. I always put my plate setter in. But you dont have too. LA Pork Butt

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker are you doing that direct or indirect?

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I laboured on fer over half a century plus without one, but I'll be th first to add that, when cookin, a reliable, affordable IR gun is yer friend, many times...

I use this one, which often goes on sale... do wait a spell, don't pay MSRP.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 16, 2020, 06:44 PM.

• PBCDad
    replied
    Thanks all, I ended up setting it on some fire bricks in the kettle like I would a pizza stone, thanks jfmorris for the recommendation. It was on there for just over 2 hours before it started to rain so I took it off and stored it in the oven to cool. About one hour in I added another very thin coat of oil on the cooking side. I don't know how hot it was baking at, but when I was moving it around with my PBC Pit Gloves, it was starting to burn my hands so it was pretty hot.

It's looking really nice, but I'll make sure the first several cooks have a lot of oil in the pan, and I won't try eggs or cornbread for a bit. I also picked up the ringer for cleaning based on several members' enthusiasm for it.

Excited to get back on the CI train!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Also true

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Bookmarked this back a spell, comes in handy A Lot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templa...f_cooking_oils

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Key is to oil it and ensure you wipe it off with a paper towel. You want it super thin layer. Basically you try to wipe it all off with the paper towels. Pooled oil creates sticky spots.

I only ever do one layer and then start using it for stuff. Builds up over time after that.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    I season all pans in the PBC etc. with just charcoal and running at 400F+ it’s pretty clean.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    The sheen you get from doing it this way is awesome. High heat and long bakes!

• Spinaker
    replied

Preheat the pan in the oven at 200F before applying the oil. This will help the oil finds its spots in the pan. Then add it to the grill. I typically run at about 500-550. Between 400-500 is fine, but I like to go to 500-550 less chance of sticky pans if you bake it hot enough and long enough. (With in reason of course)

Avocado oil is just fine.

If you want to keep the fan in you can, but not really needed. I would want to stay above 450 for at least two hours or so.(The slower the pan cools the better, which is why a Kamado is perfect for this.)

If you need to add coals you can, do what you need to do to get at least 2 hours in.

You can just do it once, and then start cooking. But it won't be non-stick right away. These things take time and the best way to build that layer is too cook with it! Use plenty of oil and watch the heat. Cast iron retains it well, so once it is heated up, it doesn't take much to keep that baby hot. All you are trying to do here is build a really good base layer to get you going, it makes the seasoning process easier. IMHO, of course.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here