Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning CI on charcoal grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N227GB
    replied
    Isn't Lodge already seasoned at the factory?

Leave a comment:

• PBCDad
    started a topic Seasoning CI on charcoal grill

Seasoning CI on charcoal grill

Hi everyone,
    I know this has been partially addressed in other posts, but I want to make sure my approach is reasonable and get a few questions answered.

I just bought a new 12" Lodge Cast Iron skillet on sale for $20. Our house has very sensitive smoke detectors - like almost before any smoke starts to form - so I don't think seasoning in the oven is going to work. I know Spinaker uses his kamado to season his CI, so I figured a charcoal grill is okay.

My plan is to wash it off, dry, and rub all over with a very thin layer of avocado oil. I don't have any fancy oils and the last iteration when I got a CI pan I had flaxseed oil sitting around forever, so I'm just using what I have this time instead.

I would put it upside down on my Weber Kettle with SnS with a full chimney of charcoal. I assume I need to wait for any white smoke to stop before putting the pan in. I would then let it run until the charcoal dies out, then let the pan cool off.

So here are my questions, but if you see anything else wrong in my process above, please let me know.
    1. Is avocado oil a good oil to use if I'm not going to buy anything special? Would corn oil be better?
    2. Do I need to plug my fan in to keep the temperature really consistent?
    3. Is a chimney of charcoal good enough or do I need to pour it on unlit coals to have the fire going longer?
    4. Do I need to run it at 500 degrees or is 400 good enough? If 500 is better, what benefit does it give?
    5. Using this process, how many rounds should I do? While it seems much better than seasoning in our oven, I think I only have one 20lb bag of charcoal at the moment.
    Thanks all.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here