Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite bacon press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite bacon press?

Some recent threads on Bacon have me thinking about upping my game with a cast iron bacon press. In addition to keeping my rashers flat, I'm thinking I'd also use it for grilled cheese, panini, cubans, etc. And wondering what else it might be useful for. Thin pork steaks, maybe? Putting the smash on smash burgers?

I'm thinking a circle or square is probably more useful than the rectangular ones, many of which seem too short even for bacon strips. Quite a few seem to have "grill ridges" too, which don't seem particularly useful to me. But maybe I'm missing something.

The two that have caught my eye are: the large Lodge model, which seems perfect except for the price, and the Bellemain which I found recommended on another thread here. It has what appears to be reverse grill ridges (anti ridges?), and I wonder if the wood will last if I get overzealous in heating it. But at less than 1/2 the price of the Lodge, I'm leaning toward it.

Any thoughts on these or other models? And any other favorite uses for one of these?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JackJ; September 15, 2020, 04:04 PM.

Get to match your needs, wants, and desires.

Comment

I have the Bellemain. I have no complaints. Used in C. I. Pan, flat side of grill grates. I've used for bacon. No issues with wood handle. It does get hot so if you get it, use heat resistant material to pick up.

Comment

My tongue. 😀

Comment

I have the Bellemain. I've never thought about the ridges, they are just there. As for the handle endurance, mine lives on my Blackstone griddle. I mean that literally, it sits in the back corner all the time unless I move it to the side I'm cooking on to keep bacon flat or smash a meatball into a patty. I have found when using it as a smash tool a small square of parchment paper keeps it from sticking. I ordered some off Amazon, will find the link if interested. Bottom line, it is subject to heating and cooling daily and the handle looks like the day I got it.

Comment

• JackJ
            JackJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! That's good to know about the handle. I hadn't thought about ground beef sticking in the ridges, but the parchment sounds like an easy cure. I've got the Bellemain in my Amazon cart.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            JackJ I'm not sure if it's the ridges or it just sticks. My guess is the ridges are for grease to run off the bacon? At any rate, here are the parchment papers I got for pressing burger (after cutting them off a roll PIA) Seems they are out of stock, but look around, there are other vendors https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here