Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday Gift to Myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday Gift to Myself

I've been wanting a vintage cast iron skillet for a while just to round out my modest collection and say I have one. I just moved back to northern Minnesota and I have to say I've seen a lot more vintage cast iron popping up in estate sales and in Facebook groups than in Phoenix. Today I saw a Griswold #10 for $50 on a Facebook buy/sell/trade page. It was my birthday yesterday so I treated myself. I have it in a lye bath in a well-ventilated space so I'll post more pictures once I have it stripped and reseasoned.

First impressions: it's very light and very smooth underneath all the crud.

Attached Files

Happy Birthday! Enjoy!

Comment

Happy birthday, nice piece!

Comment

Happy Birthday, I’m envious of that!

Comment

Which have of a century in this birthday in? No matter. Happy Birthday!

Comment

Enjoy.. May Mr. Bones or one of the other one of the Cast iron experts can tell you more about your piece.

Comment

Happy birthday, great find!

Comment

Wow. Very nice. Happy Birthday!

Comment

Nice pan. Happy Birthday!

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Estate sales are great for cast iron!

Comment

Happy bday. Nice pickup.

Comment

Happy Belated Birthday! Nice present!

Once cleaned an seasoned up proper, that Griswold is gonna be a fine-arse cookin rig, an I predict that yer gonna love it, an use it more an more an more...

As ya noted, they're both lighter, an much smoother than most modern cast iron...this makes em a joy to cook in.

If memory serves me right I'm thinkin th combination of 'big block' logo, an heat ring that yers has would date it circa 1920-1930, iirc they went to a smooth underside round '30... if I have time, I might be able to dig out a book or two, an verify...

I'm far from bein no expert, but I do have me some CI hereabouts...

Perhaps Spinaker will join in here; he's far more knowledgeable than myself...

Meanwhile, take pics as ya progress, some of us here drool over all things Cast Iron.
                        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 18, 2020, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Here ya go Bones, and everyone. I put the pan in a lye bath in a well ventilated area for about four days to get the last few decades of seasoning and other gunk off so I could start with a mostly clean slate. After the lye bath I transferred it to a vinegar solution to neutralize the lye and help with rust removal. Two hours later I'm about to give it the scrub treatment and toss it in a 200 F stove to hopefully minimize flash rusting. I don't think I'll get all of the old seasoning off, but the pan's a lot older than me so I'll let it slide this time.

Attached Files

Comment

After some elbow grease. Ready to season.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                              Mr. Bones commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Lookin really good, nice job cleanin all th crud offa it!

Very nice skillet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here