Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodge Skillet Needs Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker I've got a 40-50 year old cast iron skillet I am trying to restore for my soon to be son-in-law, since it was his grandmothers. Its got a lot of thick crud that seems like it could be rust covered in seasoning on the outside that even a wire wheel on a hand held drill couldn't touch. The inside I've got pretty smooth now. Do you think the electrolysis method would take it back down to the original skillet? I could take picture if it helps?

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    @treesmaker the Lodge website says it is like sandpaper without the paper - its a rubber binder (think actual eraser!) with sandpaper grit embedded in it.

• treesmacker
    commented on 's reply
    I wonder how that works - is it a scraper, or what. They sure don't say much about that. So, I looked it up - here is a review (a long one). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrwXs483ryE The totally rusty pot he works on looks a lot like the one I show above before I worked on it.

• crazytown3
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you! I may try baking it on the grill. If it doesn't clear it up, I may (maybe) try the electrolysis method. My dear wife will think I've gone mad.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Late to the party, but I made it!

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
    You can bake it out on the grill or a really hot oven. That will clear it back up. If it is a little uneven that is not a big deal. If there is carbon baked on the surface, then you should bake that out in a 500F oven or grill for a few hours. Make sure to remove any oil, as it will smoke like crazy. A good scrub with a pad and some soap and water before putting it in the oven or grill will help too.

Or you can go all out and go with the electrolysis method! There is no better way to do it!
    The MASTER of CI has SPOKEN!!!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    You can bake it out on the grill or a really hot oven. That will clear it back up. If it is a little uneven that is not a big deal. If there is carbon baked on the surface, then you should bake that out in a 500F oven or grill for a few hours. Make sure to remove any oil, as it will smoke like crazy. A good scrub with a pad and some soap and water before putting it in the oven or grill will help too.

Or you can go all out and go with the electrolysis method! There is no better way to do it!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Something I came across on the Lodge website that I may pick up off Amazon the next time I order something is their "Rust Eraser".

Remove stubborn rust and restore your cast iron cookware with Lodge Rust Eraser at Lodge Cast Iron, offering cast iron accessories, kitchen utensils & more.

Looks like it would be good for smoothing out the surface of a skillet before re-seasoning it.

Leave a comment:

• Al S.
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up on the link,Treesmacker! Those look like drywall sanding sheets. Hmmmm...

Leave a comment:

• Sam6687
    commented on 's reply
    glad to hear i am not the only one that had the wife run them out of the house for seasoning cast iron in the oven, lol.

• JCGrill
    replied
    The e-bath is a great method if you are willing to take the time to find the right tools, but you can try a vinegar bath if the stuff you want to take off isn't too thick or hardened.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    crazytown3 I didn't want to use up all my propane, and have plenty of charcoal, so went that way. By cracking the lid of the kettle for a while I was able to get it up in that 550-600 range for a couple of hours.

• crazytown3
    commented on 's reply
    Turned out beautiful! Thanks for the link to the grill cleaners. Added to my Amazon list.

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    Haaa. You beat me to it. 👍

• crazytown3
    commented on 's reply
    Ya I will see what Spinaker has to say. I think you have the right idea though, seasoning outside. Last time I seasoned a new cast iron pan in the oven, my dear wife told me never again. The smell eventually left the house after a few days.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here