Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodge Skillet Needs Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodge Skillet Needs Some Help

For the cast iron experts here, I have this Lodge skillet that needs some help. I know it's hard to tell from a picture, but the cooking surface has become very rough and 'chunky'.

I'm thinking of stripping it down clean and re-seasoning. But maybe it just needs something simple though?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200427_170544.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	838733

You need to talk to Spinaker he be the CI man.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Haaa. You beat me to it. đź‘Ť

Is the metal like that or is it seasoning? If seasoning or from a cook, it must have pooled then hardened. May be able to heat and scrape with a spatula then wipe clean and if smooth and add a layer of seasoning. You probably don’t have to strip the pan.

Seasoning layers have to be very thin. Basically season the pan when warm, coat everything, then wipe it with dry paper towels until you think it’s all gone. The remaining microscopic layer is all you need to then heat in the oven to create a seasoning layer.

Comment

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I *think* it's just built up seasoning. It's not the metal itself though. t's come to this point over probably 10 years of cooking, and I haven't really been that kind to it. I think it's mostly just built up oil and crap that's carbonized over time.

I cannot tell you what to do - wait for the CI master Spinaker. I can say, if you want to do it RIGHT, search the forum's for Spinaker 's electrolysis method of reconditioning cast iron. If I can find a cheap manually operated battery charger, versus an automatic like I have, I'll be trying that method soon.

I've been working on two Lodge 10" skillets myself, yesterday and today. My soon to be son in law got them from his grandmother years ago, and he abused them badly. Washing with soap, putting in dishwashers, letting sit in water. Both were rusted, and he would just steel wool the heck out of them every time. I've determined one of them was made in the 90's, the other was probably made in the 70's by Lodge, before Lodge put their branding on their skillets, and before they removed the raised ring on the bottom.

Anyway, I took sand paper to the better looking one, and then steel wool and some barkeepers friend, and got it pretty smooth, and ready for seasoning. The horribly abused one from the 70's I ended up taking a wire cup/wheel on a hand drill, and was able to get the inside smooth, but the outside is pretty crusty looking. I think Spinaker 's electrolysis method might be required for that one.

Regardless, I did a first re-seasoning run last night in the oven at 500 - bad move. It smoked and stunk the house up. Wife was sick in bed, and was NOT happy! Today I got the Weber kettle going with a full chimney of charcoal, cracked the lid, and got it up around 550F, and did the second seasoning run with the better Lodge upside down on top of a Hover grill in the dome of the kettle. One more run in the kettle tomorrow, and I'll turn that one lose to them.

Name:	IMG_1650.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	838784Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	838783

Comment

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya I will see what Spinaker has to say. I think you have the right idea though, seasoning outside. Last time I seasoned a new cast iron pan in the oven, my dear wife told me never again. The smell eventually left the house after a few days.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      crazytown3 I didn't want to use up all my propane, and have plenty of charcoal, so went that way. By cracking the lid of the kettle for a while I was able to get it up in that 550-600 range for a couple of hours.

• Sam6687
      Sam6687 commented
      Editing a comment
      glad to hear i am not the only one that had the wife run them out of the house for seasoning cast iron in the oven, lol.

Like Polarbear777 said, if it is seasoning you want to get that off and then put very thin coat back on. And like jfmorris did, I received a 2 qt Lodge dutch camp oven from my son that was totally abused and rusted. I cleaned it just with wire brushes and the grill cleaners shown in the link below (I really like these cleaners - they work very well, wet or dry). Here's the link, followed by pics of the refurbed dutch oven...

Name:	20200425_100422.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	838794

Name:	20200425_100358.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	838795Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_100350.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	838796Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_100342.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	838797

Comment

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Turned out beautiful! Thanks for the link to the grill cleaners. Added to my Amazon list.

The e-bath is a great method if you are willing to take the time to find the right tools, but you can try a vinegar bath if the stuff you want to take off isn't too thick or hardened.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the link,Treesmacker! Those look like drywall sanding sheets. Hmmmm...

Comment

Something I came across on the Lodge website that I may pick up off Amazon the next time I order something is their "Rust Eraser".

Remove stubborn rust and restore your cast iron cookware with Lodge Rust Eraser at Lodge Cast Iron, offering cast iron accessories, kitchen utensils & more.

Looks like it would be good for smoothing out the surface of a skillet before re-seasoning it.

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder how that works - is it a scraper, or what. They sure don't say much about that. So, I looked it up - here is a review (a long one). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrwXs483ryE The totally rusty pot he works on looks a lot like the one I show above before I worked on it.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          @treesmaker the Lodge website says it is like sandpaper without the paper - its a rubber binder (think actual eraser!) with sandpaper grit embedded in it.

You can bake it out on the grill or a really hot oven. That will clear it back up. If it is a little uneven that is not a big deal. If there is carbon baked on the surface, then you should bake that out in a 500F oven or grill for a few hours. Make sure to remove any oil, as it will smoke like crazy. A good scrub with a pad and some soap and water before putting it in the oven or grill will help too.

Or you can go all out and go with the electrolysis method! There is no better way to do it!

Comment

• crazytown3
          crazytown3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I may try baking it on the grill. If it doesn't clear it up, I may (maybe) try the electrolysis method. My dear wife will think I've gone mad.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker I've got a 40-50 year old cast iron skillet I am trying to restore for my soon to be son-in-law, since it was his grandmothers. Its got a lot of thick crud that seems like it could be rust covered in seasoning on the outside that even a wire wheel on a hand held drill couldn't touch. The inside I've got pretty smooth now. Do you think the electrolysis method would take it back down to the original skillet? I could take picture if it helps?

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        You can bake it out on the grill or a really hot oven. That will clear it back up. If it is a little uneven that is not a big deal. If there is carbon baked on the surface, then you should bake that out in a 500F oven or grill for a few hours. Make sure to remove any oil, as it will smoke like crazy. A good scrub with a pad and some soap and water before putting it in the oven or grill will help too.

Or you can go all out and go with the electrolysis method! There is no better way to do it!
        The MASTER of CI has SPOKEN!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Late to the party, but I made it!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here