Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron Grill Pan vs Skillet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron Grill Pan vs Skillet

Is there any benefit to using a grill pan instead of a skillet other than allowing you to keep food out of any fat that is released while cooking?

I picked up 10-inch and 12-inch Lodge Blacklock skillets to go with the 14.5-inch that I got a few months ago. Less than 10 minutes after leaving the store, I got a message that I won a giveaway for a Blacklock grill pan. I'm trying to figure out if there is any benefit to keeping it or if I should try to sell it or maybe gift it to someone.

If it is the 14" pizza pan/griddle it's pretty good for pizza's (to be precise, I can only attest to frozen pizza and Papa Murphy's). I've never used it as a griddle though, pans just seem more....right to use.

Comment

I have never found them to be useful. I would rather have the flat surface. It gives you better contact and you get a better sear. Really the grill pan is for grill marks. (Meathead makes a case against in this article on the subject.)

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Although, I would disagree and go with an all over crust. ComfortablyNumb

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        That's fine Spinaker , you won't get an argument from me, I believe you should cook your food any way you prefer. However, you cited Meathead so I went to the article you linked. He's not completely against grill marks, for foods under 1" thick trying to get the entire exterior brown can lead to overcooking, hence the quote. Look at it this way, I could post that Meathead makes a case that grill marks are good and cite the same article. After reading you'd be saying, "Uh, hold on a minute CN!"

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Right. On things like shrimp, I'll settle for grill marks.

Unless you are looking for "grill marks" I don't see the grill pans as useful.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly, my friend!

I hate when my wife uses the grill pan cause then I have to clean it... Doesnt help that I just finished washing it. Give me a flat surface any day.

Comment

I am not a fan of grill pans. I gave my cast iron one away. I have lots of real grills I use instead.

Comment

You won it and I would keep it. I know I am going against the grain. I have a similar grill pan for "in house" grilling. I never use it. However, I use both sides of my GrillGrates for cooking outside. I like sear marks on steaks sometimes. I like some fish that way, too. I would play with it, decide it you like it and gift it to a distant relative if you don’t.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Rabble-rouser

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            CaptainMike - I even wear my collar up on my leather jacket!

For me a crust is a must. I love my CI pans for steaks.

I have no use for a grill pan. I have grills.

Comment

I would say thanks but no thanks.
            You could try to sell it, but that’s a pia, and how much will you actually get for it. ??
            You don’t wanna gift it to someone, unless you don’t like them, cause they’ll be in the same dilemma you’re in if they know anything cooking and its science.
            Just my thoughts.

But it will make one impressive paper weight.
            Last edited by Steve B; January 28, 2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• jumbo7676
              jumbo7676 commented
              Editing a comment
              Retails for $100. Even if I only get $25 (I think I could get more), that could get me 2 pork shoulders at Wegman's to throw on the smoker.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              🤔 Didn’t know the Blacklock series were that much. Than get it sell it and grab those butts.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here