Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nitriding "cast iron" cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitriding "cast iron" cookware

I saw these yesterday at Home Goods. They are very attractive and much lighter than traditional cast iron. I suspect they are not actually cast iron (they look to be machined, not cast) and they look like some manner of carbon steel. They are also fairly inexpensive. Has anybody here had any experiences, good or bad, with this cookware that they are willing to share?

I would be worried about the "coating" coming off at high heat or during long simmers. You are correct, they are more like carbon steel that cast iron.

I have never cooked on one or anything, but I would be worried about leeching at high temps. I think you are better off with either a steel pan, or a carbon steel one, if you are going for light weight. Lodge has many options for light and cheap carbon steel cookware. They are easy to make non-stick and you have nothing to worry about. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Hmm. Ex heat treat supv. Never would have thought carbonitiriding would rear its head in cook wear. Carbonitiride is done to toughen steel surfaces (gears) through exposing 1750f steel to ammonia gas and co2 then gets quenched and tempered. fiinishing by grinding is required to polish. Don't think you need worry much health concerns. This is most likely an added process as a marketing gimmick in my opinion.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here