Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

something-smells-kind-of-"smithey"-around-here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something smells kind of "Smithey" around here..........

My wonderful wife took to a few hints recently when she asked about a gift for my birthday. Opened up a box this morning to find this beautiful hand-forged carbon steel Farmhouse Skillet from Smithey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	211BE7D8-4EBE-4D08-A479-3CF5A973DAAA.jpeg
Views:	1657
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	776074

Name:	ADBF9A1E-B3E4-4F6C-8252-6DCE4F0B5351.jpeg
Views:	1694
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	776075

I’ve been eyeing cast iron ever since I joined The Pit but have been able to hold off on the high end, especially Finex brands, and find that I love the Lodge and Lodge off brand skillets I have. But when I first saw this skillet, it was different. Thought it was such a cool piece and awesome to see how it was built and it could become a family heirloom for years to come.

Craftmanship is wonderful. Detailed handle, hammered out sides along with the surface. A beautiful copper color that will deepen and darken with time and a perfect weight, lighter than cast iron but a nice feel while in your hand.

Name:	9AB3DDDA-BBA3-4F52-BEB2-F9C89E440BC1.jpeg
Views:	2059
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	776072

Name:	AA1B9FCD-4C83-41C9-993D-C00FA4D4C254.jpeg
Views:	1683
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	776073

Name:	023418BC-A2A6-4084-AC5E-AF9B79441005.jpeg
Views:	1606
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	776076

Name:	AF057F67-19D4-47B9-9ECD-93D6972105F0.jpeg
Views:	1669
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	776077

Name:	AB0AD7B6-EF86-49AE-8314-229C5381C734.jpeg
Views:	1636
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	776078

Well, it’s hear and in the oven getting it’s seasoning on! Now I need to decide what will be It’s maiden voyage! Or, ask my wife what she would like for dinner tonight!

Coincidentally I received an email from Epicurious today that listed 39 gifts and this was the one in the list that really caught my eye.

A transcendent soy sauce, skillets that are as beautiful as they are practical, and a little Japanese knife that will become a kitchen prep essential: These are our highly-curated recommendations for the best food and cooking gifts this year.

Comment

WOW. That’s one beautiful pan. I’m jealous.
      I can resist. I can resist. I think 😬😁

Congrats brother. 👊👊

Comment

Beautiful pan. I'm jealous too. Congrats.

Comment

WOW! You are a lucky man. A real piece of artwork there and no two pans are the same. You have a real piece of history there that your kids will really love someday. I would be lining up.

Comment

That is one sweet pan.. I could definitely see that hanging on the wall next to the cast iron pans..

Comment

Name:	3F999545-CD46-42BC-AC36-997A52E9392D.jpeg
Views:	1837
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	776138

Name:	62F7160F-5DEA-4FB0-A77F-54F9639F2A72.jpeg
Views:	1803
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	776137

Comment

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha Haha! Now That’s funny! When did you get it? After our posts back and forth?

How do you like it so far?
                Last edited by barelfly; December 5, 2019, 06:59 PM.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Like I said. I got you, but you got me back.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Unreal. I might have to dive in. Secret Santa anyone? LOL.

I heated the pan to over 450F and could still pick it up barehanded by the handle. Long handles are nice.

Comment

Polarbear777 I’m sure you saw the new Smithey roasting pan today? Perhaps you haven’t, and for others interested -

https://smithey.com/products/carbon-...eid=7e303b7aa5

Name:	6B63356E-3AC9-40E8-A822-9A8262FFFD1F.jpeg
Views:	1265
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	911652
                Last edited by barelfly; September 15, 2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can’t remember the last time I used a roasting pan so I may be able to resist.

If it was a DO with a lid that might be a problem.

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Polarbear777 same here, although, if they made a paella pan like this.......and a DO with a lid.....

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Polarbear777 I laughed the other day, thought you and I were in trouble when I received an email from Smithey with the Dutch Oven in the subject line...but, to only be disappointed to see it wasn’t a carbon steel DO....was the release of the 3.5L DO, which, was really nice, but not needed.

I was stuck between this and a Blanc Creatives carbon steel pan. The Smithey is so purrdy

Comment

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The BCs are nice, I have never heard of them before. Two very different styles, very elegant all the way to farm house style.

I just picked up a very lightly used (and poorly seasoned) Smithey 12 inch skillet a couple days back for $75. Can't wait to get it fixed up and start cooking on it.

Name:	smithey.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	911622

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmmmm...Now, that there is, indeed, a puzzlement...

From where I set, looks like one bad coat on a new skillet; reckon there was some Smoke involved!!!

Mebbe yer right, reckon we'd haveta check her book...

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  $75! That’s a great score! I really do like their CI skillets as well but I don’t have any. Just Lodge, an Emeril and Pioneer Woman that all work great and make it hard for me to justify. I didn’t have a carbon steel and had been looking at various ones.

But, heck, if this lady has any more she needs to get rid of, I might be able to help at that price!

• JoeSousa
                  JoeSousa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  barelfly I did get a 14.5 inch Blacklock for $50 from her as well. But none of these compare with that Farmhouse Skillet. That is a crazy cool looking pan.

Awesome score....on the wife!!! My ex left me with almost $6000 in debt I didn't know I had(NOT JOKING) and I've got 31.3 months left of $372/month on a vehicle I never see.

Maybe I should just get this skillet and whap myself over the head to ease some of the pain.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jerrybell I divorced a good person (nobody is perfect), just one step-child too many pulling knives on people in the house. Getting stabbed in my sleep is NOT on my bucket list.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ouch! Yeah, the pan thing would be less painful. There’s needs to be a special line at the store, reduced coal prices or traffic lane for those of us who raise other people children. It’s a rough gig.

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The real question we all want to ask is..................is your directional working?

Man what a beautiful pan.

Comment

Wow!!

Comment

Very nice. Please tell your lovely wife, my birthday is in May.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here