Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron, rust, and seasoning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron, rust, and seasoning.

After a few years of frustration with a small CI skillet, I decided to start from scratch when my wife decided to clean the oven. Put the skillet in for the cleaning cycle, and when it was finished, all the old stuff was gone. But, now I've got a layer of rust all over the pan. So, do I just scrub off the rust and follow Spinaker method for seasoning? Have I just created a whole bunch of work? Suggestions and advice (or a really funny cartoon) would be appreciated.

Be honest, I do not know of Spin’s method. I’ll have to look it up. What I’d do, is soak it in vinegar, scrub her down with salt & a spit of water & immediately proceed with seasoning. Don’t dally.
    Last edited by FireMan; December 1, 2019, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Im not a CI expert like some on here but thats the way id role.

Should just be flash rust. You can either scrub it off with soap & a scrubby pad or just wipe it off with a rag soaked in oil. Leave it coated in oil if you're not going to season it right away.

Comment

Rinse the pan with cold water, soap and a pad. More than likely what you have is simply flash rust on the surface of the pan. It may take some work to get though it but it will come off.

By far the best way to clean a pan is with electrolysis. It will take the pan down to the bare iron and leave nothing behind.

It is important to wash the skillet with cold water to eliminate the possibility of flash rust. Once you have it wiped clean, set it in the oven at 200 F for 10 mins to make sure all the water is off the surface of the pan. Then you can add oil and continue with the seasoning process.

Comment

• DesertRaider
        DesertRaider commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, I saw your electrolysis method as I was roasting the pan. And I thought, that looks really cool, maybe I should try that on my other pan. You can figure out what my thoughts are now

Thanks everyone. Looks like this is going to be more of a project than I thought, as I got whatever crud is going around, so I'm down for a couple of days. But, once I get some energy, I'm going to get back to it (smh as I think about how this is going).

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope you feel better, I had the same issue last Monday.

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going into my 3rd week of it. Hope you feel better soon, and are able to get back to it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here