Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Cast Iron Line from Lodge Manufacturing Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Cast Iron Line from Lodge Manufacturing Co.

Lodge has just launched their new Cast Iron line. It is called "Blacklock". These new pans are lighter and feature a redesigned stay-cool handle. The handle itself is a gorgeous design and one that is somewhat similar to my favorite handle, made by Stargazer Cast Iron.

For now they are offering 12,10 and 8 inch skillets. Along with a Dutch oven, a Griddle. (Which I really love the look of!) and a Grill Pan.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BL39SK_N.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	711701Click image for larger version  Name:	bl02do_t.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.4 KB ID:	711698Click image for larger version  Name:	BL77DG_N.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	711699Click image for larger version  Name:	bl65gp_t.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	711700

Personally, I love the look of these new pans. They promise to be lighter and come with three layers of factory seasoning. I also love the new logo on the back of the pan. You can see in the pictures that they are noticeably thinner in profile when compared with a regular Lodge skillet. It will make it easier for people that dread moving a heavy cast iron pan from the stove, oven or grill.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	190625_BL_garlicrolls-7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	711702

I have the 12" on order and I will report back once it has arrived. I love how Lodge is always coming out with new products. It is not surprising that they are the oldest cast iron foundry continually in operation in the US.

Watch the promo video here!

Interesting. I didn't see it mentioned, but I wonder if they smoothed out the surface while they were at it.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I doubt that is part of it. With the volumes they produce, it would be cost prohibitive. But I will make sure to report on that when I get the skillet.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, so it is one of those deals where you pay more for less, 25% less according to them.

Thanks for the info Spinaker. They do look nice!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You bet! I agree, they do look really nice!

Prices seem very reasonable compared to Stargazer, Finex, Field Company, and the other "premium" cast iron manufacturers. It will be interesting to see if these have a smoother finish to start out compared to the regular Lodge pieces. Can't wait to hear what you think of these Spinaker

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not expecting these to have a smother cooking surface. We will see what they have come up with.

Are those US made?
    Their enameled stuff isn't...which I only discovered AFTER buying a Dutch oven. It still functions as it should, but it was a little disappointing to discover.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they are made in the US. Yeah the Enamel line bothers me too. I only own one and it was a gift. All of their other cookware is made in South Pittsburg, TN. Or the new foundry down the road.

Saw the announcement and am intrigued. I'd really like to hear if you think the 2.5x cost difference between the new line and the basic Lodge line is worth the improvements. I'm thinking the light-weighting may be a big draw. Looking forward to your impressions Spinaker

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that is the main draw. Lodges can be heavy for some and this should help with that problem. Especially with the larger pans.

Look forward to your review. Not going to lie, I get nervous when I see something like this. Part of me thinks Lodge figured out a way to charge more for less.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you. That being said, this pan is a totally new design. I don't think the pan will be better, per se. I think it is more about making it easier for people to use. They also look cooler as well.

I'd like to lodge a complaint.
    Not sold in SA.
    I have a griddle pan that's 10*x10* and weighs a ton.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe I will get you for SS and send you one!

I quit buying Lodge when they stopped making the smooth bottom. Hope these have it.

Comment

I agree that Lodge should bring back the smooth surfaces. That would get some excitement. The modern pans work fine but smooth would be better.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Take a 7" 60 grit flap wheel to the pan and you will get it smooth in no time. Then just re cure it. I love my lodges. My kids can use them when I am in the ground.

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        love my Smithey 12" but it does weight a ton. could use a nice light weight 10" or even 8" plus the dutch oven is interesting too.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        These pans should work great for that! Jon Liebers

Priced like a Finex or a Field, thin like them, but not smooth like them? Trading on the name a bit, methinks.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        A Finex is a really beefy pan, and not thin at all, but they are smooth. Both Finex and Field are made in much smaller batches in numbers no where near the quantities that Lodge pumps out. It would be cost prohibitive to sell the pans at their much lower price and still be able to finish all of them smooth. Too much labor. The Finex 12" is $280 and the 12" Field is $215. The 12" Lodge Blacklock is $90. BTW, I am not sure if they will be smooth or not, we will have to see. My guess is no.

If you don't mind a little elbow grease to clean them up, a used and (surface) rusty Griswold is a better buy than Lodge. I've bought the occasional dud, but they're still better IMO.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, but I like to collect. I’ve got many a Griswold in the collection. 😎

Comment

Wait a minute. Ya’all will pay 60 bucks or 30 twice for a bottle of bourbon, Countless dollars on mail order pork and forty dollars for a bag of pellets but don’t think a Cnote is worth it for a pan?

Maybe im in the minority.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m with you Homey.
          And why is Spinaker having to defend Lodge.
          Guys. Get a grip.
          If you like it. Buy it. If not than don’t.
          End of story.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree...
          Reminds me of people that spend thousands on a camera & lenses and then want to put a $14 filter on the front and balance the whole thing on a forty dollar tripod. O_o

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Well said HouseHomey. We all have our priorities on all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons.

Ok everyone let’s just calm down. (Oh. I think that’s us Steve B) I just don’t see (perhaps my inexperience with CI in camparison) why the Lodge would be compared to the Finex and smithy n such.

Perhaps some one can educate me on that. I do understand the surface which you reference in the way they were cast.

So where else would the comparison come in. Seems like the high end owns are like Porsche’s and the new lodge a Lexus while the old one was a Datsun B210.

Edit: in Hindsight I may not be the most objective person on this matter. I daily use all types, sizes and shapes of pans. Forgive my shortness on the issue.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; July 11, 2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Get off my lawn. 😎

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Stay in your lane...

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Let’s talk about cars. Let’s not!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here