Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor uses for cast iron grill pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor uses for cast iron grill pan?

Got a very nice gift from someone: a cast iron skillet and also a cast iron grill pan. Have already used the skillet to sear off a steak. Gave me a great crust quickly. I really want to get good use out of the grill pan, but I have to admit, I really don't know what I'd use it outside for. I know I could put the grill pan on my cooking grate to cook/sear, but is there a reason why that's better than just cooking on the grate? I guess what I'm looking from someone here is, "If you really want to cook a great <blank> food outdoors, you should use the cast iron grill pan." Thanks.

I bought on one sale but ended up giving it away because I couldn't find a use for it.

Comment

Yeah, I think those grill pans are only useful for making grill mark lines on stuff you want to present as "grilled" from the stove top. I think you are better off with a straight up skillet and an all-over sear.

It could still be useful for frying things in with some oil, and baking in, just like you would with a regular skillet.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure about outdoor use, but it would be very useful roasting chicken in the convection oven. The ribs (as they call them, I guess I'd call them grooves) are pretty deep, so some hot air could get under the food.

Can you flip it and use the other, (hopefully smooth), side? If so, you can use it to cook or sear. Breakfast, fajitas, fried rice, and other things come to mind.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB The back is smooth, so I can use it for that. Thanks for the idea!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here