Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of Cast Iron wants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of Cast Iron wants

Looking to find a cast iron wok and a cast iron pizza tray. for my Kettles (and house). I really am only familiar with Lodge. Any feed back on other brands to consider would be great and more then happy to purchase from a sponsor here if all things are equal or close to it even in quality and usability.

I have a Kamado Joe C I wok that I like. I just checked, they are 49.99 on Amazon.

Comment

I would avoid most cast iron woks in favor of carbon steel. For classic wok techniques, cast iron retains the heat TOO well. Carbon steel, however, is quickly responsive to any changes in heat during your cook. Iv'e used a couple different cast iron woks, including the Lodge, and had this issue of overheating at the end of the cook, just when you need it to cool.When doing multiple processes for the same dish,rinsing and cleaning are slow, compared to carbon steel Carbon steel is easier to season, faster to cook with, and easier to clean, in my experience. I used to work a wok station earlier in my culinary career, and carbon steel was the name of the game, as you have to rinse and brush the wok for each order. We also seasoned the woks every day, which only took a couple minutes. Carbon steel is inexpensive, effective and damn near indestructible.

For pizzas, I really like cast iron. Doing a Google search, I found quite a few pans that would work well, especially if you're making larger pies. Since I only cook for my wife and I, a flat griddle is fine. I got a 10" one from work, and it cooks well.

I have a fair amount of Lodge gear and it all works very well. The other brands I've tried worked well too. Shop by size, then price, and you'll be fine. Expensive is not always better.

Since you will have to pre-heat the pan, you'll need a peel to build the pizza on, then slide into, or onto, the pan, depending on recipe.

In the restaurant I work in, we have a couple cast iron deep dish pizza pans we use once in a blue moon, and they make fantastic deep dish pies. Of course, the cooking temps are lower(350-375 vs the usual 475-600), so any oven will do.

Good cooking and greetings from Houston, Alaska.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Strat50 Thank you for the detailed description. I had thought about the cast and not being able to change the direction on the wok. I have only cooked on a wok a few times in my house (6 times a year maybe), but, thought maybe I would do more if I could do those cooks outside. I will look into the carbon Steel. As far as the pizza, which ever one I choose is going to get used heavily. Thank you and greetings from La Crosse, Wi.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Strongly second Strat on the carbon steel wok, plus they are cheap, 15$ give er take a buck.

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        For those with an interest, try The Wok Shop for your gear. Good prices, excellent service and knowledge base. I think their out of San Francisco.I've bought 7 or8 woks from them over the years. The flat bottomed woks are great for newbies or those with weak stoves.

I bought this 18" cast iron wok 2 separate times when it was on sale for $16. It's a good product but currently selling for $40.

Comment

If you are cooking outside and you have a good heat source, use a thin carbon wok.

If if you have weak indoor burners the CI wok is helpful because you can heat it and use thermal inertia to cook a small batch, then wipe out,reload with more heat, repeat. It’s slower and there’s no switching gears, but you will at least get high enough heat transfer per small batch. The CI wok is nice to deep fry in as well.

I wok outside now because I have enough heat and there’s so much smoke and fireworks that it’s just best to do outside anyway.

for fun check out this thread.

There was a little mention of cooking with a wok on the pod cast. Just thought I’d toss in my 1 & a 1/2 cents into the fray. Cast Iron was mentioned, it is not good for Chinese

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I used my CI woks inside on the stove more often than not.

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have an 18" Pao wok that I use outside with a portable propane burner. This is for when I'm power mad..lol But, it cooks like a dream...

• Foehn Watts
          Foehn Watts commented
          Editing a comment
          About the indoor, weak burners. I agree with you about the CI on weak burners. I don't have a CI wok so I am forced to use my biggest CI frying pan, which will give me the "wok hey" flavor if I don't try cook too much at once.

Happened to be looking at Woot a few minutes ago an noticed this:

I have no idea as to quality.

Comment

So, after a bunch of searching I have changed completely to the idea of Carbon steel for my wants both Wok with the experience shared here, and for my "pizza" pan. Appears to be a lot lighter, the Paella pan at 15 inches would be a real multi purpose pan, i could see so many different cooks.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Mmmm....you said paella....

Off topic a bit, but I use an enamel pan for paella. Requires no seasoning or care after use. I really like it, and it does well on a gasser, stove top, or my preferred method of cooking paella now, on my kettle over charcoal and a few chunks. It is black and I can’t see the burn marks unless I really look.

Either way, enjoy that paella!

I like to use the Lodge P14P3 Pizza Pan. You can also sear meats, fish and even cook cookies or whatever else you want. It is a great piece.

Comment

Here's a rig that utilizes the Lodge that Spinaker mentions above. It is sitting on top of a Vortex to raise if off of the grate. You can use firebricks, etc.

Here's a link to a youtube.

Happy Cast - Ironing!
            --Ed

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pizza_Cook.jpg Views:	1 Size:	211.5 KB ID:	681085
            Last edited by Medusa; May 18, 2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

here is one I am considering ... https://www.webstaurantstore.com/lod...AaAnX4EALw_wcB
              Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks good.

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack, "Looks good" the meal in the pan, or the specs on the pan? I did not make that, it is a photo stolen from the link I posted. If you say with confidence the specs on the pan looks good, that could be good to read. I would rather hold off on a purchase and save money to buy quality anything then be pissed I spent money on something that does not measure up to being used, and used a bit aggressively then meant to be used.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                The meal in the pan is nice, but is no way of how one cooks in a wok! Presentation-pretty, funtion-Barbara Streisand.

That looks like a really nice pan, Brother!

There are many here who have shown / shared paellas beyond description. that can share their experiences / purchases with ya....

Though I'm admittedly located jus minutes south of th north shore of Th Western Interior Sea, we ain't harvested any fresh, local seafood in ~85-100 million years; cain't remember zackly, I was quite young, at th time....

It's kinda faded from everyday, local cuisine...

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones I know I keep saying this, but, it is true, I am so new to so much of this. I have long considered myself a kitchen hack. I have never made or eaten Paella. But, I hope too, it looks amazing. But, I am trying to own "Less" things, yet more things, but the "right things" I would love for someone to tell me stuff like, You do not want to own pans thinner then ?? gauge steel, or stuff like that. I want to buy things that can be used for a lot of things, plus, grill-smoker, oven, all...

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                I am trying to pour my time into stuff I know I can do. So, trying to take my hack of knowledge outside. So much to learn, yet, I think I can at least raise myself up to back yard hack with the grills.

Richard Chrz I can tell ya plenty bout CI, correspondinly know next to nada re: consumer level, carbon steel woks. Many others here do.

Re:
              I am trying to pour my time into stuff I know I can do.
              From what I've seen of yer food, Brother, ya can do far an beyond what ya currently even know ya can do, ya jus ain't done it, yet.

So much to learn, yet, I think I can at least raise myself up to back yard hack with the grills.
              Keep on workin forward; I'm aspirin t'wards th same goal, my dang self. I figger it to be an ongoin process. If'n I got gifted a ball cap, apron, or t-shirt, boldly emblazoned with BackYard Hack, why, then, I'd wear it with Pride, an dignity!

Take it one step at a time, ask lotsa questions, cause there's lotsa smart, an experienced folks (not me) here...chances are, an answer is never far away...

Lookin forward to makin th journey, along with ya!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here