Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron myths from Serious Eats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use ONLY metal utensils with my CI. They not only cause no harm, but actually help smooth it out over time. I clean my CI with a chain-mail scrubber and a salt paste. But a good season can stop up to occasional soap and tomato paste.

Comment

WOW, cooking on Grandmas' cast iron is so special to me. They are so seasoned ( born 1902 and died 1992.) These pans have crust on the edges and only remind me of her simple meals and the love she had. Simple nylon scrubby and little soap my pans clean-up well with or without re-seasoning.

Comment

Yeah, I read that article a few years ago. I even tried a test on my Lodge 12" with an infrared thermometer. I did four spot tests, at the four cardinal compass points, and I had temp differentials of up to 100 degrees! Cast iron most definitely does NOT heat evenly.

I scrub my cast iron with soap and a blue scrubby sponge as needed. I use metal utensils all the time. I have a Wagner 8" that is over 80 years old, and it has never complained.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here