Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas cast iron mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do this for people quite often. (Family and friends) It is amazing what you can do. I really do not go much over 120-grit paper. I found that anything over that is too smooth. In my experience, you want to have a little bit of something for the seasoning to adhere too. Too smooth, and you are gonna have trouble getting the seasoning to take.

Nice work! I love to see that I am not the only crazy one around here that does this!

Comment

I don’t have a grinder. But I could borrow my buddies, just would have to get a few sanding pads.

But it could I just use my electric sander, or is it better to use an orbital for this? My sander isn’t anything fancy, just one of those palm sander types.

Its a a nice day today, so thinking of getting after one of the pans I got for Christmas. I don’t like the surface, it’s pretty rough, more so than the couple of lodges I received.

Comment

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly Orbital would speed things up and the radius around the bottom will be a lot harder. But like my dad always said dance with who you brought 🤓

PS with a sander I would 60 to 80 100 110

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Fire Art Just watched a cowboy KENT Rollins you tube video as well. Need to go to the depot for some grit! Everything I have in the shop is 120 and higher.

From my brief experience I have found flaxseed oil puts on a nicer seasoning. I worry, though, that because of the way lower smoke point of flaxseed oil that there may be a downside to this.
      Thoughts? Spinaker?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No, the lower smoke point doesn't matter. Flax is used because of its high ALA content. Which forms the polymer barrier.

After 2 weeks of use nothing sticks it was worth
      ever second of time working over this skillet
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Jus Plain Ol Awesome, Brother!

Many thanks fer makin this tutorial write up, an takin us along fer th whole ride through finished, tried, tested, approved!

Very Much Appreciated!

I borrowed my buddy’s mouse type sander and went at one of my 12” that was fairly rough and the circular griddle that he some build up baked on. Washed well and preheated at 200* then rubbed larbees on. Wiped them down and now baking at 400*. Plan is for at least three seasonings this way, perhaps more.

Excited to see how these come out.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice

Have a nice copper color started after first seasoning.

This is has been another informative thread on CI! Thanks for the help everyone.

Mans on a side note. Making a Spanish braised chicken dish in another CI skillet. As I was going through recipe, needed a lid for it. I’ve been drooling over the Finnex CI combo but always wondered.....why would I ever need a CI lid 😁
      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here