Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate CI seasoning method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate CI seasoning method

Love to hear what Spinaker thinks of this seasoning process:

You can also do this outside on a burner for fish fry / turkey - the way I light my coals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burner.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	584500

Comment

Seems like if this works as well then doing it outside would be the way to go.

Comment

Doing it outside would be optimum. Ya don’t have to worry about all the inside prep, just let her cook. Did my second wok & my Stargazer outside. Then cook the dickens out of em, 100 yrs, yeah.

Comment

I’ve been doing it this way for a little bit now. Inspired by seasoning my Blackstone. I figured if it was good enough for that, why not cast iron too? Happen to have a professional exhaust hood on the stove so doing this inside is an option for me. Didn’t even think to use my turkey frier burner outside.

The only thing I guess you get out of using the oven is multiple pieces at a time and not having to babysit it?

Comment

I didn’t know there was any other way 🧐

Comment

This is a good way to season a pan. In fact, I do it all the time whenever I cook with my KBQ. I never do it in my house just to avoid smoking up the whole place. The oven/kaamdo methods help to manage the smoke and they do provide for a slower cool down, which is highly beneficial.

When I do this process, I use flax oil. Just as the article suggests, I keep adding layers of flax and let it smoke out, wiping pretty much the whole time. Then I flip the pan and do the back. After a little bit, the pan gets to the point where it will no longer take oil. The oil literally pools on the surface, and it cannot be evened out. That is when you know you are getting somewhere. As soon as I notice this, I remove the pan from the heat and slide it into a Kamado or I let it cool on my fire pit grate.

Comment

This sounds great...I have a couple Lodge skillets that I did in the "traditional" way...just rubbed them with bacon fat and crisco, heated em up in the grill, and did a few layers that way, but this sounds even better. Got a new dutch oven (the Lodge one with the lid that's also a skillet) that I'm gonna try this method on. Been using avocado oil lately for all things CI related and it's been great.

Comment

Kinda did this yesterday with my Made in China 8" skillet. Used my new Camp Chef CI cleaner followed by Camp Chef CI conditioner to season the pan earlier in the week. Cooked eggs in the morning. The eggs slid out of the pan perfectly with nothing sticking. Re-cleaned, seasoned, and dried then set on burner on high, just to warm up and thoroughly dry the pan. Forgot about it and went to living room to relax until I smelled something hot. Rushed to kitchen to find pan smoking and super hot. The burner was slightly smaller than the pan, so it burned all of the patina in the center of the pan which is now gray (burned seasoning off also - pan was dry in middle). So, I immediately added more Camp Chef seasoning and kept adding as it cooled off, which took a long time. I think it will be just fine after cooking in it some more - hard to really destroy one of these pans. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190210_170215.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	634840

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is the great thing about CI, it is almost indestructible.

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    An update on that burnt pan - no harm done. After re-seasoning with the Camp Chef conditioner, eggs still slide right out. I really like the Camp Chef Cleaner and Conditioner (except for the price).

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here