Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted : Quick & Easy Cast Iron Skillet Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No worries, Spinaker . I'm glad Sgt Tyree blazed the way instead of me. Hahaha. I bet it still tasted delish. Thanks, Sgt. Tyree for trying this out for us.

P.S. I'm hoping Santa brings me a Finex skillet for Christmas. (can you hear me Santa?)

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; December 17, 2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Spinaker . I was hinting for the #12 with lid. So that would be too heavy for a strapping 122 lb woman (before holiday pounds added, that is! )?

For me, more is more when it comes to cookware.

Kathryn

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You can handle it! fzxdoc Actually, I just weighed them, The Lodge 12" is 8 lbs even!! And the Finex was 7 lbs 11 oz. I thought for sure the Finex was heavier! Maybe the handle just makes it feel bigger. Although the Finex lid does weigh 5 lbs....so with both it is 13.5 lbs!

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc ; I was a crash test dummy in another life and today proved reincarnation is real...

Spinaker : Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa! I just went back and reread your post of December 15th. You did write to use a 12" skillet. Completely and totally my fault. I got my posts mixed up and wrote down No. 8 or 10.5 on the printed recipe. Very sorry.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc : No, it seldom does. Many years ago at my older brother Fredo's wedding after the vows my mother announced loudly that at least one of her sons would be a priest. All eyes turned towards me. I was the only son left. I enlisted the following week.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, I hear ya. It's just a line in a Jimmy Buffett song. Anyway, I edited the post, after you suggested it, so others wouldn't use a 10.5. You did nothing wrong. I told you to use a regular 10.5 " Lodge. This was my bad. Sgt Tyree

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker : I was raised catholic, we always did something wrong. I edited my post because I thought I was nuts and losing it. Anyway my offer stands for the next time you get down to Omaha lunch is my treat.

Skip : OK, we're going to try a frittata tonight. What size skillet would you use for just two people and how many eggs? I see a lot of different variables on the use of potatoes (boiled first, cubed, sliced, hash browns, etc.) The rest I understand is dictated by whatever is hanging around in the fridge. I think once I get the skillet size, the number of eggs, and the style of the potatoes that I can run with this. Thanks.

Comment

Very early on Saturday, with my husband still in a deep slumber, I snuck out of bed, put on my thickest pair of socks and tiptoed down to the kitchen.  I held my breath as I passed the guest room, …

Me, I like it with a little ham or Spanish (cured) chorizo. But it stands on its own.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
        Sgt Tyree commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF ; Thanks. If i'm to understand this correctly a 20 cm skillet is an 8 inch.. This recipe is more in line with what i'm looking for since it only uses 4 eggs. The recipes I keep pulling up use 8.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, 8" or so. I love this recipe! Let us know how it turns out.

EdF ; Spinaker : As it was once said "if at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you" I had to give CI another try. I dragged out my Lodge 12 inch, surveyed what I had on hand ingredient wise, and went ahead and made a 8 egg frittata. My first. My wife loved it and says I am now forgiven for what we now call in hushed tones, "The Great Cornbread Fiasco of 2017". The "Great Cherry Pie Disaster of 2015" is still not spoken of. Thanks for all your help. It is appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	425982

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife refers to many of my culinary adventures as Science Fair projects.

She likes to stick with tried and true recipes, while I like to venture out into the unknown now and then, more often now than then.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        The great frittata of 2017! Good job!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, looks like it came out great!

Cast iron Christmas. Spinaker : How'd I do?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1244.jpg Views:	1 Size:	148.2 KB ID:	428863Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1248.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.7 KB ID:	428865Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1246.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.5 KB ID:	428866
      Last edited by Sgt Tyree; December 25, 2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I am over in Europe and this is one of the best meals you can have on the mountain when skiing.

https://www.austria.info/uk/things-t...iroler-groestl

You can add cheese and adjust as needed. It is almost always served in a small cast iron skillet (usually finished off in the over with the broiler).

Also, Serious Eats has some great cast iron recipes.

Last edited by Mark N; April 8, 2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here