Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sale Is Over: Let's See Those New Field Company #8 Cast Iron Skillets!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinaker Mr. Bones I use refined coconut oil or real lard. Never had any luck with flax oil.
    My smoothed out Lodge took 2 rounds of coconut oil seasoning and Salmon was gliding all over the skillet.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      That blog is how I got to try flax oil.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha. Ernest We think to much al like.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fer th' tips, Ernest! Much appreciated, an' will be put into rotation...
      I have several ol' CI items I need to get stripped, seasoned, an' workin' fer a livin', displayed, or gifted to family/friends.
      In my house, prob'ly hunnert pieces of CI, easy...
      Mebbe 8-10 newer Lodge pieces...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	356725

Mine showed up, had this marking on it, appears to be 164. Any idea what that is?

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	356726

Two fresh from the chicken's vent.

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	356727

Paired with home raised sausage and a bun.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I noticed this last night when I was doing a round of seasoning. Not sure what it says. But I will post a pic of mine, when I get home.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      You have some good eats walking around your grounds Mr. Numb!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      'Breakfast on th' hoof ' is what it was called down home...

There is conflicting info on what the number stamped on the underside of the little helper handle means. Some have said it is a serial number others have said it is a code for the date the casting was made. I haven't read anything directly from the Field folks.

I got my Field in January of this year. The number on my helper handle is "334". I'm inclined to believe the number is a date code for casting (334th day of the year?).

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      They may have mentioned it months ago on the Kickstarter page and I either missed it or forgot but I'm sure an email to them would get the answer.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am still waiting to hear back from them on this one. I am really curious. Were you able to find anything? Histrix

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      Just a couple more folks commenting that is is the day of the year (Julian date).

So this thread will teach me not to miss checking in here daily. I'm WAY late for this one...

So what say the group?? This or Finex?
    Last edited by TheCountofQ; August 4, 2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      Both!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see ya', brother!! TheCountofQ
      Where th' Hail ya' been hidin'??
      Hope all is well!!!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 5, 2017, 11:38 AM.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't seen this one but Finex is built like a tank if Tesla made one. I say go for Finex No10 with a lid

Originally posted by TheCountofQ View Post
    So this thread will teach me not to miss checking in here daily. I'm WAY late for this one...

So what say the group?? This or Finex?
    They both have their advantages. For searing, I will take the Finex everyday. It is heavier, so it retains heat better and gives you killer sear. So far I LOVE the Field Skillet for sautéing potatoes, onions and peppers. I am going to do some corn bread this weekend. The thin walls of the Field Skillet will make for some great corn bread, just like my vintage Griswolds.

Too early to tell which one I like better, but the Field Skillet will have to be pretty impressive at searing to overtake the Finex.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmmm... CI cornbread...

Ok my first cook with this little puppy. An epic cheese steak in the making. Onions,fresh jalapeños from my garden(the first ones) smoked chuckies (12oz portion) yeah I'm a pig, and 8 slices of American cheese (yeah I'm a pig).
    It all came together quite nicely. And tasted great Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1190.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	357082Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	357083Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1192.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	357085Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	357084

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, to have a gas range again.
      Amen!!!
      Stoopid electric ranges!!!
      I have a lifelong hate/hate relationship with them!
      ComfortablyNumb

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. I hate mine. Mr. Bones ComfortablyNumb

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      You had me at 8 pieces of cheese! Btw... did you eat them while cooking? Don't seem 'em on the sammie. ☺

Spinaker Ernest ComfortablyNumb Mr. Bones Thunder77 DWCowles Huskee kmhfive Histrix David Parrish and last but not least fzxdoc here above is my first cook on this beautiful Field Company CI. I know you all followed this post. So now let's see your first cooks on this nice new CI pan. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles I am feelin' yer pain, there, Amigo!!!
      Be safe out there on th' road!!!
      ???Take a Coleman gas grill, mebbe a Smokey Joe???
      I'd flat-arsed DIE of withdrawal symptoms....
      Much Respect!!!!

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B I believe you are late to the party, beat you to it amigo!! :-) We have First, Place, just waiting for Show.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I'm doing fine. Staying on the road for 4 weeks then we're going to Columbia, Mo to spend a week with my brother and hitting the road for another 3 weeks before returning home. I just remember that he has a Weber kettle and a RecTec 680....ok I'm good 😊.

Mr. Bones, Just working long hours, with a long drive to and from each day. The most I've cooked in the last few months is re-heating coffee in the microwave. I poke my head in here now and again, but just hitting the highlights mostly... which usually means "Show us what your cooking" and the occasional attention grabbing topic, such as this one. All is good, and thanks for asking.

This one appears smooth up the sides as well, and the Finex doesn't, but has that cool handle. Is a tough call.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

They both have their advantages. For searing, I will take the Finex everyday. It is heavier, so it retains heat better and gives you killer sear. So far I LOVE the Field Skillet for sautéing potatoes, onions and peppers. I am going to do some corn bread this weekend. The thin walls of the Field Skillet will make for some great corn bread, just like my vintage Griswolds.

Too early to tell which one I like better, but the Field Skillet will have to be pretty impressive at searing to overtake the Finex.
      I am different, I assign one task to a piece of CI, and one only. Mrs. CN has learned not to cook meat in the egg skillet or risk being banned from using my CI. The Wagner 1891 will give over egg duties to the new Field, which I am christening 'BreadHead' as he is BGE fellow and seems unwilling to part with a Benjamin for one, so he can live vicariously through mine. The 1891 will take up bacon, and the antique Griswold will continue in its assignment of cooking patties. I haven't decided what to do with the next acquisition, a No. 12 Smithey. I'll think of something.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I want one of those Smithey's. Those are gorgeous pans.

I am trying to channel my inner Ernest here. I cranked out some breakfast potatoes, onions and mushrooms this morning, on the Field Skillet. I really love this skillet. I have started using walnut oil. A co-worker gave me a bottle of it, so I thought I would try it out. I really like it. It has an awesome flavor and a wonderful aroma that gets you going in the morning. This is a simple combo that is great before heading out early to get on that Smallie bite. Smacked'em pretty good this morning. Drop shots and Carolina rigs. Looking forward to some top-water bites tonight! Heading to Cabelas for more gear. Yeah, my affliction with MCS is multi-facitied, I also have MFGS. (More Fishing Gear Syndrome) Happy Saturday everyone!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6786.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	357425

Comment

Mrs. CN finally spotted the box the pan came in. When I told her what came in it she wasn't exactly pleased. "Why did you get it, we already have pans...You don't need one for each dish you cook...What are you going to use the old egg pan for?....How much did you spend?" Later she announces she is going to make some eggs and wants to use the new pan. After she comments how smooth it is and says it is the best CI pan we have.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        😊😊

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally expect to get this upside my head. But....... its all for a good cause. My belly!

I ordered one after reading this thread. Been on a work trip this past week and when I came home today it was sitting on my porch. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5754.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	380490Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5755.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	380491

I paid the $10 to have it shipped. Not being on sale, i'm not sure if if mine has a number or not. I told my wife we need another one so we don't have to choose which kid get it.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude you're gonna love this skillet. Get her seasoned up right. Please refer to Spinaker and you'll be good to go. The greatest thing about this pan is it's so dang light and easy to maneuver around.
        Congrats brother.

Sound Plan, so far...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here