Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Spinaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Spinaker.

I fran across this site today Spinaker :

http://smitheyironware.com/product/n...-iron-skillet/

MIMCS- Member Induced More "Cooker" Syndrome

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Guilty!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lmao!

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
    MIMCS- Member Induced More "Cooker" Syndrome
    I like it!

Comment

It's like lookin at a diamond!

He won't be able to resist, heh, heh, heh. 👁

Comment

I have been eyeballing these for a while now. You just had to do this to me! These are true works of art. They will be added at some point. Right now, I am working on conquering the Finex collection.

Smitheys are gorgeous skillets. Nice thin profile, like the vintage cookware. That handle is classic and a gorgeous design feature where it meets the pan, especially as the iron takes on color. The back of the handle is reminiscent of the late 1800's early 1900's Griswold pans. Really cool design.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-1.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	351824

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          The handle on the opposite side of the pan is to help lift the pan. I would imagine we would not have trouble lifting the pan, but a smaller person certainly would if it was loaded with food. These were added as steel and aluminum cook ware came on to the market.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          To stem the tide, they added helping handles to many pans. One of the main complaints for cast iron then and now, is the weight. So they added handles to assist smaller users in handling the pans. Obi-Dan

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker That's very interesting. I have some of my gandmother's cast iron skillets and there is no handle on the other side but the handle is long. I have no idea what brand they are. I should check.

I noticed they have a ten inch also for 160$. They are beautiful, but my diamond merchant days are long gone.

Comment

Are they charging by the pound? Gorgeous pan though.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            Are they charging by the pound? Gorgeous pan though.
            Naahh...it's the Borough Furnace folks that seem to charge by the pound as their 10"-er is a hundred bucks more than the Smithey 12"-er:

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow!!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, so crazy.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yowza - that's hot!

Originally posted by histrix View Post

naahh...it's the borough furnace folks that seem to charge by the pound as their 10"-er is a hundred bucks more than the smithey 12"-er:

http://boroughfurnace.com/shop/105-frying-skillet
            oh hell no!!!

Comment

Spinaker I should have never started with Finex...........

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
                Spinaker I should have never started with Finex...........
                Oh your hooked now dude. Trust me, they look so purdy hanging all together in the kitchen. Or when you have a whole stove of Finex pans cooking dinner.I look like a real pro now. LOL!

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was close....I almost bought one of the Smithey's

Yo Spinaker ! What do you think of this? https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...home-cooking#/

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The name alone is trying to steal the Finex thunder. I wouldn't touch that skillet.

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm betting the Japanese folks behind this project came up with the name from inspiration of the discovery of that 500 year old cast iron pot discovered in Japan 15 years ago. Fenix being phonetically equivalent of the mythological Phoenix and rising from the ashes.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I would love to hear how a lighter pan will retain more heat than a heavier one. Especially since the graphs they show clearly show that it does not......interesting. Histrix

I have a finex. It looks amazing, but I choose my old lodge in the same size when I cook. Age before beauty I guess.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I still use my Lodges but I find I use them more for outdoor cooking. I love to use my Finex skillets inside.

For those that want to spend more money on another skillet...

I received an email today telling me that my Marquette Castings #8 skillet was finally shipped. They started on Kickstarter then switched over to Indiegogo. Delivery was a few months late but I don't get upset about that with these type of projects.

Here's some links for those that might be interested:

Premium quality cast iron cookware. Enameled Dutch Oven, Carbon Steel Skillet, Cast Iron Skillet. Cast Iron cleaning, seasoning and maintenance.

Skillets made by combining a superior casting process with an unparalleled seasoning process. | Check out 'Marquette Castings: Superior Cast Iron Skillets' on Indiegogo.

I may want to get one of the Marquette 10.5 skillets when they become available.

In other cast iron maker news, a few weeks ago I finally bought one of the Solidteknics AUSfonte cast iron skillets (the 16cm one). These are made in Australia. They also make a line of carbon steel pans. I have a couple of their carbon steel pans (AUS-Ion) and they are my most used cookware (I actually don't use cast iron all that often). I had been meaning to get at least one of their AUSfonte cast iron pieces and I am glad that I did because I also just learned that they are ceasing production of their cast iron line as of mid-September to focus on their carbon steel and stainless steel pans. They were finding that making the cast iron line in Australia was too expensive and too difficult.

Anyway, if anyone was thinking about wanting to get any of the Solidteknics AUSfonte line you might want to do that sooner rather than later.

Their seamless stainless pans were launched on Kickstarter a month ago. I didn't back it but look forward to seeing it when they release them next year - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-saucepan-skil

The AUSfonte 16cm skillet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 4.26.32 PM.png
Views:	148
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	386902

Comment

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Surprisingly, the postal carrier dropped off my Marquette skillet this afternoon. Did not expect to see it for at least a few more days. First impression is the side walls are impressively thin - thinner than the Field skillet.

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Marquette pans look beautiful!

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very cool. Any pictures? Histrix

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here