Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning cast iron on Weber kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning cast iron on Weber kettle

Click image for larger version

Name:	14996314112872004785090.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	345064 someone made a post a while back about seasoning cast iron on the grill, this is how I do it. This is an old cast iron pan I purchased at a yard sale for $2. I'm doing this the same way you would an oven I'm keeping the temperature low and slow for a couple of hours using canola oil.

I'm not an expert on cast iron maintenance - in fact I'm really bad at it. But shouldn't you clean the rust off it before you try to season it? Not trying to be contrarian - that's just the way I've always heard... you want to clean all the rust and old residue off (you can use Easy-Off, which is a lye-based foam) before you start trying to coat it in oil and seasoning it. Otherwise, you're just covering up all that other stuff with the layers of seasoning you're applying.

That's one of the things I'm looking forward to with my Weber - seems like a better way to season cast iron. Let us know how it goes! I'll be interested to read your techniques, treatment times, etc.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker to the rescue!

Jimmie,
    You are better off getting all of the surface rust off the surface. Your seasoning will simply flake off once cured. And baking on the grill is very effective, however you want to be in the 400 F -500 F range, and allow it to cool as slow as possible. This is why I use my kamado for seasoning, many times. The slower that cooling phase is the better your polymer lattice will be. The cooling phase is almost as important as the heating and baking phase.

FYI, this piece also looks to be heat damaged, this happens when people throw pieces in a fire to rid the pan of rust and seasoning. VERY BAD IDEA. (This is why you have that redish tarnish to the iron.) Very high heat for long periods of time changes the chemical make up of the iron and makes seasoning extremely difficult to adhere. So if you are having any trouble with sticking or getting the seasoning to adhere, this might be the reason.

Check out this thread. Scroll down to comment 22. This is how I season mine.

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
      Jimmie Rhoden commented
      Editing a comment
      You're absolutely right, the original owner I purchase this piece from did tell me they threw it on a fire to burn it off. It is slightly warped but I'm only going to be using this particular pan for outdoor fire cooking only. It seems to be non-stick so far

• Jimmie Rhoden
      Jimmie Rhoden commented
      Editing a comment
      I just read your thread about the electrosys cleaning of cast iron. Now I'm over here like a horse chomping at the bits in a rabid dog foaming at the mouth to try it.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Do it up man! it's not that hard to set up and the results are amazing, with little to no elbow grease. Jimmie Rhoden

Jimmie Rhoden, pay heed, this guy Spinaker, is the CI whisperer.

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
      Jimmie Rhoden commented
      Editing a comment
      There's no doubt about that as soon as he mentioned it look like it was through in a fire I knew right then he knows exactly what he's talking about. I give $2 for this pan at a yard sale, so I don't have a whole lot to lose if something goes wrong

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      That is the great thing about cast iron pieces, even if they are warped, pitted or otherwise they can be used for something. i have a few pans that are too far gone, and I just use them as decoration on the walls. They look awesome hanging up. Jimmie Rhoden FireMan

There is a link in the post to SeriousEats that gives some good info.

Good Morning! Here's the link to instructions that I followed for restoring cast iron. I did 2 days of "easy-off" oven cleaner and 5 coats of flaxseed

Spinaker is the man, tho!

Hope all this helps to restore your prize. I love my cast iron!

--Ed

Comment

How I clean up an old pan is to stick it in and on hot charcoal, inside and out, to burn off all the gunk. Then a complete seasoning is required.

Comment

Spinaker is the CI King

Comment

Yes it is

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here