Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone make a cast iron griddle that replaces your grates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone make a cast iron griddle that replaces your grates?

I've become so amazing at Meathead's diner burgers that my wife refuses to cook burgers any other way. But with my cast iron skillet, I can only do 2 burgers at a time. It'd be awesome if I could put cast iron on the entire Weber Spirit. Does anyone sell that?

Not aware of any cast iron griddles to replace your grates. I am, however, aware of GrillGrates that do exactly that. One side has ridges and the other is flat like a griddle.

Comment

you don't want cast iron grates. you want a cast iron griddle on top of your grates. that way you can take it in when you aren't using it. i have been using cast iron grates for a while and those things rust up on you. i have been oiling mine every single time i use them but unless you take them off the grill and oil the backside of them they will just rust out through the bottom eventually. i'm on my second set because i didn't oil them EVERY SINGLE TIME i used them and they rusted out so bad i feared for the safety of my food. even this one has areas that are rusting out on the bottom that i can't easily get to and i know it's only a matter of time before the rust makes it all the way through to the top.

Comment

I do not know of a cast iron manufacture that makes that specially for the Weber spirit.
        Lodge makes a Cast iron griddle that is 16.75 " long by 9.5 inches wide. So this would fit inside your grill but it is not the same size as the grates you want to replace, so it would sit much lower in you grill. However, it would work just fine on top of your grates.

I am a cast iron nut, but in this case, I would recommend Grill Grates. They can be flipped over and used as a griddle or you can use the rail side as well for regular grilling.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          We just put that Lodge on top of the grates - or even over two burners in the kitchen. Works great! And it's cheap.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I do this too. i just think you get some better flavor with the fat and juices dripping onto the fire. EdF Don't get me wrong CI is a true love of mine.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not disagreeing there, Spinaker!

Spinaker and MBMorgan I considered the Grill Grates, but I don't think they'd work for the diner burgers because they have holes. The smash phase would have some of the meat going through the holes.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't noticed that when making them on my GG's I think the Lodge griddle might be your option then. I use mine on my Kamado, all the time. It works great. And its removable.

I did diner burgers on my SnS and GG and had no problems with the holes at all and they had great crust.

Comment

I recently got a Lodge LPGI3 Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle, 20-inch x 10.44-inch. while it wouldn't lay completely flat as a weber genesis is 19.25in, I was still able to move my grates and lay it in for a nice sear. Haven't tried the smash burger on it, but should work perfectly.

Comment

• bcostlow
            bcostlow commented
            Editing a comment
            MCS moment: get the Weber 26 :-)

Craycort makes cast iron grates. I have mine going on 5 years. Call them, I know they have grates for different grills

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking about these but couldn't remember the name. And I didn't know they made them for gassers. Awesome!

That looks perfect

Comment

I absolutely LOVE my Craycorts. The inserts are grate! Get it?

I think the big lodge pan would do good for you. You could bring them burgers inside sizzling away and smelling good. I have considered getting that big lodge myself for my new WSCGC, but then again, I am probably going to order the larger Craycort grates that are made for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	338763

Comment

Grill Grates makes an anodized aluminum griddle that fits your grill. you buy them in 9.25" sections. There are no holes in them. I use one to replace one of my grates when I want a griddle.

Comment

I agree with getting a Lodge griddle. I purchased the Lodge 14" pizza pan and sanded the cooking surface smooth. I'm a bit of a cast iron snob and only like the old stuff with a smooth surface, but the Lodge can be sanded and reseasoned. The 14" pizza pan also makes a great griddle for a single burner when wanna use it inside.

Attached Files

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man I'd like to get my mine like that. Most of my skillets got smooth from daily use.

What's the best way to sand cast iron?
                would love to get my new lodge smooth like the pan from my grandmother.

Comment

• martybartram
                  martybartram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Use non-aluminum-oxide sandpaper. I would start with 120 grit and work my way down. You could go as fine as 2000 and get it glass smooth. Make sure you change directions you are sanding by 90 degrees or so each pass.

Here's what I used to sand mine. 1/2 drill and some elbow grease. Took about 30 min. Most time consuming aspect is the reseasoning obviously. 6 thin coats of Flax Seed oil at 400 degrees in the oven for 1 hour. Let cool completely in the oven then do it again. Time consuming, but well worth it. IMO Flax Seed oil the best and most durable seasoning you can put on cast iron.

Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What kind of a wheel is that?

It's probably better referred to as a stripping disc. It's set up to be used with your drill, not for an angle grinder. I chose to use this so don't have to worry about leaving any gouges. It works well to get the seasoning off that Lodge puts on their cast iron. I've not used it for anything else, but I could see it working well for surface rust.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks awm77 - the hardware store is around the corner!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here