Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st attempt at cast iron skillet refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st attempt at cast iron skillet refurb

A co-worker of mine found this skillet on an online yard sale and bought it for $10. When she picked it up the lady selling it said "can't you tell it is already very well seasoned". It was so gunked up you couldn't even see the ring around the bottom of the skillet on the outside. I tried 4 attempts using oven cleaner but still the gunk on the outside of the bottom would just not budge. Finally broke down and took it to a local shop and got it sandblasted. Within a few minutes it was clean, bare and ready for seasoning!
    I used a Crisbee puck to season the pan following their instructions. Heat in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes, rub the puck all over the entire pan then wipe off excess with a clean lint free cloth, then back in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour. Turn off oven and let cool naturally. I repeated these steps 6 times. Now my co-worker has a very nice piece of cast iron cookware she can use for years. The first pics are after the oven cleaner run, 2nd pics are after sandblasting and final pics are post seasoning.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0604171930.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	333578

Name:	0604171930a.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	333579

Name:	0608171842.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	333580

Name:	0608171842a.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	333581

Name:	0608171846.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	333582

Name:	0616171210a.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	333583

Name:	0616171210.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	333584

That looks really good after the crisbee puck! I've never used one and have been curious about it. i know there have been several other threads about restoring cast iron, but this looks much easier!

Comment

Very nice looking Vintage Lodge you got there! I love using Crisbees. Have you tried their Apple Pie tin? It makes the whole house smell yummy!

Looks like you did a great job. I usually take the oven to 450 F for four hours. Or do a run in my Kamado at 500 F for 5-6 hours, then allow the Kamado to cool naturally for 8 hours. The slower the cooling process, the better your seasoning lattice will be.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

BigCountryQ it was really easy after the sandblasting. I think it will be my go to for any future CI cookware.
        Spinaker I appreciate your feedback! Thanks for deciphering who made the piece, I had no idea. When I bought the tin of Crisbee I don't think they had the flavored ones yet but I did see that recently when I went on Amazon. Thanks for the tips man!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem, brother. Restoration is a fun hobby!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          One more thing....Sand blasting can remove the patina from old pieces. Not that this is a concern to you, but many hardcore collectors won't buy sand blasted cast iron. Personally, I could careless. If it works..it works. Once again, nice work! Check out that Apple Pie Crisbees too!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here