Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast iron cookware

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	309279Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	309278 i bought a Lodge 10 X 20"griddle yesterday and I tried it out this morning and we were very pleased with the results, the griddle fits nicely on my gas grill. We cooked bacon perfectly and some eggs after the bacon was done.
    I also used the side burner twice today once this morning and tonight for supper. The sun was not helping me take pictures this morning while I was cooking bacon. The 10" skillet was the one I sand blaster and seasoned. We enjoyed the brats cooked in beer, onions and peppers tonight.

Name:	IMG_0264.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	309277

Nice! Love my Cast Iron... Virginia, Bessie, Big Bertha, Hoss, Lucas... just to name a few...

Here's Bessie with a mess o' Cowboy Baked Beans.

--Ed

Name:	Cowboy_Beans_042317.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	309285

Comment

Very nice!!! I love my Lodge griddle. It is perfect for cooking bacon. I like to leave one in the oven and use it as a baking pan for everything.

The 8SK looks great. I have yet to try sand blasting. But I would be interested in one of your sand blasted pans if you could part with one.
      I sand and polish some of mine. I have also had good results. I start with 60-grit paddle wheel on my angle grinder, then disc-sand with 80, 100, 150-grit and finally, I finish with 220-grit paper. Here is one of the skillets after one round of Flax Oil.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Lodge SK10, Polish.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.19 MB ID:	309290
      Last edited by Spinaker; April 24, 2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ernest !

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        It's beautiful. However, isn't the advantage of the rough surface the fact that it gives more effective surface area for the seasoning to cling to?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        It does. And I found that out as I went through this process. I found that more of a satin finish was the way to go. So I would only sand down to about 120 Grit. 220 is just too smooth. gcdmd

Spinaker, Just Have To ask What's the Difference Between Linseed Oil and Flaxseed Oil? Been Wondering for a Long Time Now❓❓
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead is correct. "Flax seed oil" is simply the Food Grade spec.

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I used to Know That back in the "Old Days"❓ I used to Help My Grandpa Clean Flax with a Fanning Mill, Measure it Into 2 Bushel Gunny Sacks and Sew the Sacks Shut! It was sold to Friends, Neighbors and Enemies Alike for Seed, Cash on the Barrel Head!
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Cash... on the Barrel Head! These young bucks have never heard that phrase before, probably! I also like... "In God We Trust... everyone else pays cash." 👍

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here