Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makin' Boudin in my new cast iron Bayou Classic 5 gallon Jambalaya pot. Broke it in by frying a pound of bacon, removed the bacon and the grease but didn't wipe it out. Seared a pork butt - 8.5lb - and here it is simmering with trinity and pureed chicken livers. I am using it on my gas stove top. I have a tall Cajun Cooker burner but this needs the shorter version which I haven't bought yet. House smells amazing. This is the kind of air freshener I would buy (well, that and fresh ground coffee air freshener).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently I bought the last one. Not sure when they will be in stock again. It was $125.00 shipped and came with a cast iron lid. Most Jambalaya pots that I see use an aluminum lid that is often sold separately.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2991.JPG Views:	0 Size:	992.7 KB ID:	787114
    Last edited by 58limited; January 4, 2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW, I got a deal. They are now listed at $200.00!

Now that is a POT!
    I have heard of using chicken livers. What flavor do they add?

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      In a regular batch (6-8qt Dutch oven) how much would I use? Thanks.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited Boudin is a sausage, sorry. What I was thinking is using chicken liver in a chili or Jambalaya

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem. For reference, most boudin recipes I've seen use about 1 lb liver for 10 lbs. pork, give or take.

Cast iron Basting pot with mop from Williams Sonoma​​​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0380.JPG
Views:	583
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	790207
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Bruntmor #2 Potjie that I bought on Amazon last year. Great pot to use for stews, one pot meals, frying, etc.

Currently in the oven of my 1950 O'Keefe & Merritt full of Charley Langer 's Chili Verde recipe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=798555.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	798560
      Last edited by 58limited; February 1, 2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! What a cool piece!!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's pretty cute.

Not cast iron, but it's still iron. My first carbon steel skillet.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_237d.jpeg
Views:	485
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	808606

Can't wait to cook on it. Those NordicWare melting domes are also a nice pickup for for $6.75 a pop.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude, these are great. I love my carbon steel pans. Nice pick up. Also, thanks for supporting a MN company in buying that Nordic Ware lid!

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker Did you smooth out your carbon steel pans? I like our pan, but I'm not a fan of the rough texture. Maybe I just need to use it more often instead of storing it in the oven.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I left it as is. Use is the best way to get it to be non-stick! Craigar

So I am trying to find ways to not go nuts while working from home. I got bored and decided I needed to take some pics of two of my Finex pans. I love these and they get the most use out of all my pans. The finish is like glass on both of these pans.

Name:	IMG_7192.jpeg
Views:	408
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	817271

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        You are board.
        Hop in your truck and drive out east for a few weeks.

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw some Finex pans at a kitchen store here and was surprised how heavy they were compared to most of the new breed of cast iron. Very smooth finish on them too.

My Father’s Day present to myself. Cast iron griddle from Barebones. I have been eyeing this one for a while. Pulled the trigger on it for 20% off for Dads Day!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Very Cool griddle, Brother!

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice Pick up!

Saw this on ebay and made a low-ball offer. I didn't know there was a John Wayne skillet available. It is 8 inch, made in china, and is the roughest cast iron piece I have ever seen. It retails for $35.00 on johnwayne.com - I paid a lot less for this one. There is a Dutch oven available too, no size listed. I wouldn't bother unless you are a John Wayne fan. They could have done much better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JohnWayneSkillet.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	870715
      Last edited by 58limited; June 28, 2020, 01:26 AM.

Comment

I know these aren’t exactly CI pans. But this is the best place to show these beautiful Carbon Steel pans.
        In the rough. So to speak.
        They are covered in beeswax.
        Can’t wait to get these puppies seasoned up.
        And into use.

They are Misen pans.
        I already have most all of their pots and pans and love all of them. Click image for larger version

Name:	0FBBCB3F-48EF-4470-96C8-885FDFAB0EC3.jpeg
Views:	374
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	909221 Oh and they would look even better sitting on top of one of Spinaker ‘s cutting boards. 😁

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I love their knives and am moving towards slowly getting them all, one by one..

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          I almost picked up a few of there non-stick pans (my wife will only use non-stick, will not even look at the CI pans, as she’s afraid she will mess them up . She needs a new non-stick, do you have any of those? If so, happy with it?

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          barelfly I do have all three of their non-stick pans. Have had them over a year now. I don't use the a ton but do use them. So far I'm really happy with them.

WOW, I am impressed.
        All I have is a cast iron Dutch oven. I bow to thee.

Comment

I just wanna say... I really like these for cleaning my cast iron. They rinse out well and last a long time. Simply scrape out the biggest junk and then scrub with these. They also work good on grills and grill grates.

Name:	Crown.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	933602

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            These are really handy for that stuff that is burnt on. Thanks for sharing this with us.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            I like those! Will have to order some. They look very similar to the sponges we use for daily dish washing/scrubbing, minus the sponge. If I remember correctly, what we use are called Dobie pads, or something. But, I like just having the cloth idea! Thanks for sharing.

Spinaker I found this thread by chance.... holy cow! Now I am going to read all the way through. Hopefully, your seasoning technique is listed. And then I will take my collection pic!

Comment

Glad this thread resurfaced, an jogged my memory, it's been a crazy year...

I gots me probly ~ 30 more pieces to photograph, an post lol

Comment

Got a family heirloom out of the blue. My uncle doesn’t know anything about it except that it’s been in the family. Tried using some ID websites to figure who manufactured it. No luck. Mr. Bones any expertise to offer?

Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                jhapka I am guessing Wagner, because Griswold and Sperry are clearly marked. I have a small, but eclectic collection myself!

What say you Mr. Bones
                Last edited by SheilaAnn; August 26, 2021, 09:15 PM.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, this is an old Wagner, depending on you look at it. It is pre 1960's as there is no "Made in USA" stamp, which was introduced after 1960. After WAGNER bought Griswold 59', although these unmarked pans were actually made in Sidney, Ohio. Out of the box, they were actually called "Old World Griswold" pans which used to be made in Erie, PA.

Whoa. What a cool thread. Here is me with my one lonely but reliable skillet for 12 years now. $7!

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Show us!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here