Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Finex No. 8 Skillet!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Finex No. 8 Skillet!!

I picked up my first Finex skillet the other day. These are beautiful pieces of cookware that will last generations. The cooking surface is milled down and polished, just like they used to do in the old days. This makes for a superior cooking surface. Finex also makes theirs with a stay-cool stainless steel coil handle with a brass hanging cap. This thing really is a thing of beauty.

It cooks like a dream. I've already got eggs sliding down the inside of the pan! The Cast is heavier than standard Lodge pans. And the stay cool handle works well for a long while. The brass hanging cap does get hot though, but I can easily bare hand the pan deep into many cooks. The heat distribution and retention appears to be better as well. These cook hotter than any other skillet I have used. The heavier cast really makes a difference. These are made in Portland, Oregon, USA. Something that we can be proud of. I love seeing manufacturing coming back to the US. You have to pay for that though. These are not cheap. But for me, this is something that will last forever. I still love all of my Lodge, Griswold, Wagner, BSR cast iron pieces but the Finex is my guilty pleasure. I just cant believe how beautiful this cookware is.

I took the first picture when the skillet first came out of the box. I did a long round of seasoning with flax oil on the Keg over the weekend. I cover the pan in Flax Oil, then set the Keg for 500 F and hold it there for 5 hours or so. Then I shut the dampers and let it cool naturally. It works perfect. The slower you allow the Cast Iron cool the better quality the seasoning will be. It gives the lignin in the Flax oil time to form really solid bonds as it cools. After doing a single round of this style of seasoning, you have a layer that is almost indestructible. Though it take about 12 hours to complete, the results are unbelievable. The second to the last picture is the result after the long season process. The last picture is the Finex in action!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1270.JPG Views:	1 Size:	9.22 MB ID:	228100Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1279.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.79 MB ID:	228099
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1307.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.78 MB ID:	228101
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1308.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.90 MB ID:	228104
    Last edited by Spinaker; October 7, 2016, 08:44 AM.

That is one gorgeous pan! Congrats!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!! It's a blast to cook with.

Sweet . I so love a gas range top. Wife not so much since she cleans it.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah man, that range is amazing. Not mine, unfortunately, this is in my Dad's kitchen. Nothing is better than gas. Instant heat, instant no heat.

Well crap... Now I have to update my Christmas List again!!!!! That is twice this week because of this and the new Smoke thermometer.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker , negative sir but it is still on the radar.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You should, you would love them. Nate

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker , I'm sure but I'm on hold on unneeded purchases at the moment. Have a new roof and mower purchase in the very very near future.

A good looking hunk of metal for sure.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      And its cooks as nice as it looks.

Williams Sonoma has a set at a "decent" price:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/1139109/?catalogId=13&sku=1139109&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat =Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&kwid=produ ctads-adid^57526520023-device^c-plaid^57277990607-sku^1139109-adType^PLA&gclid=CICQtMCxyc8CFQMehgodnyAMNA

Comment

I got my Finex skillet back in February or March.

I like it but do have one small complaint. The "spring coil" handle does stay rather cool, however, that nice brass piece with the hole on the tail of the handle does get warm. I don't have "yuge" hands but I've been bitten a couple of times by part of my hand gripping a bit of that part.

Other than that they are an interesting looking piece of cast iron.

Looking forward to getting my Stargazer and Field cast iron skillets soon.

Comment

Histrix I have noticed that. I've got large hands and I have already been bitten by that little devil. Buts it nice being able to move the skillet around without wearing glove.

I am also looking forward to my Stargazer. I haven't seen a ship date yet though.

Comment

Oh man, leave it to you to go ahead & post something like this. I am going to have to somehow hide this from myself.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha, I told myself the same thing. You won't last long. Plus the holidays are coming up..........

Thanks for posting this, Spinaker. Or maybe not, I just ordered their 12" skillet with lid.

Mark it off as another MCS attack, it won't be the last.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hell yeah!!! You gotta post that sucker when it comes in. They are amazing pieces of cookware. MCS stuck me hard but I was able to contain myself (some what I guess) and get the No.8.......... I wanted the No.12 really bad!

That's a really good post not just about the product, but about the seasoning process. I use cast iron on an open fire and as a dutch oven in my smoker - many times in place of wrapping. I've had nothing but luck with my Lodge products but I don't actually cook on them until they are sufficiently seasoned. I have seen posts from folks who seem disillusioned by cast iron due to the "stick" factor. The description of your process to season the pan is great. Thank you.

Comment

• Abom
            Abom commented
            Editing a comment
            Too true! I was amazed when I finally learned how to properly season the pan, as well as learning that I really can use soap to clean it. My old 10" pan is my go-to pan now.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Your welcome, Thanks for taking the time read up!

Man!!!

That is one FINE-looking hunk o' iron, Spinaker !!!

You jus' know, with my CI addiction, I'll be googlin' this brand tonight, and clickin' "Add To Cart!!!!"

Thanks for the review, and the tutorial!!!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 7, 2016, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You got it man!! It great stuff and if you collect. You gotta add it to the collection. It beautiful stuff brother.

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
          That's a really good post not just about the product, but about the seasoning process. I use cast iron on an open fire and as a dutch oven in my smoker - many times in place of wrapping. I've had nothing but luck with my Lodge products but I don't actually cook on them until they are sufficiently seasoned. I have seen posts from folks who seem disillusioned by cast iron due to the "stick" factor. The description of your process to season the pan is great. Thank you.
          Hey no problem!! Cast Iron collecting and restoration has become a big hobby of mine as of late. I have always said that I was born in the wrong century. I would be right at home as a blacksmith in the old west. I love the history that Cast Iron restoration conjures up. When You can take a piece that has been totally neglected for years, many times decades, and bring them back to life. That is pretty special. This is the seasoning process that I use for all of my restoration pieces.

While doing this for the Finex, it really wasn't that necessary but I do this for all of my Cast Iron. I strip every Pan that I buy, no matter what. I know I can put a better coating of seasoning down than any mass production foundry. The method above the best way that I have found that works. When its done properly, the seasoning is rock hard, shiny and dry. Water will bead on the surface after 1-2 rounds.

There are so many different ideas and opinions regarding seasoning of cast iron, I tried to concentrate on mostly science based information. This allowed me to filter through the myths and ledgends surrounding cast iron seasoning.

Abom Although it is true you can use soap on your Cast Iron; you don't need too. If your seasoning is done throughly, no soap should be needed. For tough spots, get a plastic pan scraper from Lodge. They, with hot water, will take almost anything off a cast iron pan. You can also use non scratch pads from Scotch. They works really well too. Cleaning the pan while it is still warm is also a good idea. Avoid thermal shock by putting a HOT pan under the water but a warm one under hot water should clean up beautifully with out any soap.

Comment

[QUOTE=Spinaker;n228634]

I have always said that I was born in the wrong century. I would be right at home as a blacksmith in the old west When You can take a piece that has been totally neglected for years, many times decades, and bring them back to life. That is pretty special. This is the seasoning process that I use for all of my restoration pieces.

No doubt! When they are 'found' as 'wrecked, rusted, ruined', I chuck 'em in the bonfire, late-like, when we're down to like a 20' radius of coals. On the edge, I ain't no foundry. Flip as needed. Burn that ol' stuff off.

I strip every Pan that I buy, no matter what. I know I can put a better coating of seasoning down than any mass production foundry.

Totally agree. It ain't seasoned, until I season it. I love Lodge, admire them for bein' US made, but wish, with alla my heart, they still sold nekkid CI, instead of their sticky, gummy pre-seasoned Bull-Honkery.
            Into the bonfire. Then season. At least. before I'll cook with / eat out of it.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad we agree. Lodge is a great company and I love that they are made here. And I think they make a good product. But I gotta sand those babies down now after cooking on Wagners, Griswolds, BSRs, and Finex cookware.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, after their introduction to Mr Bonfire, I gotta sand 'em, anyhow. Might as well sand the insides down to smooth as a baby's butt.
              Much more fun to cook in.
              Jus' sayin'...

You know, you got the oldies / goldies. That's why you, and yer cookin' ROCKS!!!

Got this one comin'. like I need another:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here