Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring Cast Iron via Electrolysis Bath

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    This is awesome! I love to hear this. That is so cool.

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    You got me started down the cast iron road. I now have a lye vat, an electrolysis vat, and a dedicated oven in my shop for seasoning my CI. What started as a fun hobby has morphed into a serious collection. I can’t thank you enough for the starting advice. I really need to rearrange my cabinets soon. When I do I’ll take some pictures of it all.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Few hours in and the magic is already happening!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EC492465-DF26-4AF7-936B-464BC3F11DCF.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1257694

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe your theme song Steve B

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz. Oven and lid ready for Bizz!

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    Isn’t that a song. Carbon and Rust.

• Spinaker
    replied
    I fired up the E-Bath again for this vintage Lodge Dutch Oven No. 12. I think this piece should be done by tomorrow evening. Then I can do the lid and start the seasoning process. Stay tuned for the results! You can see the fizz in action! Bye-bye carbon and rust!

Click image for larger version

Name:	580C94F0-5A91-4663-85A9-A3B077B4CC2B.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	1257656 Click image for larger version

Name:	4F98868B-3D9E-4B68-98C0-5F79D4604D24.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	1257655 Click image for larger version

Name:	C3FFCF96-B50B-45C1-AACC-6ECF99F71350.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1257653 Click image for larger version

Name:	BB374892-8B87-410B-AED7-A8A9E4517D63.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1257654

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Good job, interesting and useful.
    Time for a PBR.

Leave a comment:

• bmillin
    commented on 's reply
    I did the same recently. Set the pot in the tank - drilled a 1/4" hole in a piece of angle iron - used some nuts to fit a camp chef flame tamer onto a piece of 1/4" allthread and dangled it inside the pot for the anode. I do believe that this process is pretty much "line of sight" and try to keep that when doing the inside of a pot or dutch. Seems to be working.

For general use I welded up a cage out of rebar that cleans up the outside of things.
    Last edited by bmillin; December 7, 2021, 04:40 PM.

• Spinaker
    replied
    Firing this back up for a big Dutch oven I just picked up since Lodge no longer makes the 12QT. This was a solid find and will be put to use down at the sauna. We have been making a ton of campfire meals but we needed a bigger camping dutch.

I will post the restoration once I get it going.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I ended up getting hung up at work last night. (More never ending importing nightmares in LA )

Needless to say, I did not get around to getting anything set up for the Korna Grill. I will post some before and after pics of this restoration. It is a really cool piece.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Unobtanium of the highest quality.

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    unobtanium?

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Stainless steel cast iron does not have that problem, although it is hard to find.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here