Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring Cast Iron via Electrolysis Bath

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I forgot to say something when you first posted but Dang dude! That's some cool "Macgyver"/ "Bill Nye The Science Guy" kind a stuff. Very cool to know. I'm actually gonna start hitting some garage sales so I can find some old neglected cast iron to try this.

I know it's basically just science but you a very good job of describing it in such a way that most everyone can understand. You made a very good contribution to the Pit and its members and I thank you sir!
    Last edited by jbeck1986; August 24, 2016, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the kind words my friend. I had read many instructionals online, I tried to write this one the way I would want to read it. I just tried to fill the holes the others failed to mention to make it more user friendly.
      Last edited by Spinaker; August 24, 2016, 12:22 PM.

I did this about a year ago. I had a perforated steel sheet I bought at mcmaster for another project that I used as the sacrificial anode(? or is it cathode? its been a while!) I used a dough tray like pizza joints used and some pencils for stand offs in the bath. Works like magic! Thanks for sharing! I wish that I could do this on my SS grill grids without damaging them!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      For stainless steel, try something caustic. Like oven cleaner or caustic soda. (WEAR GLOVES) That will clean stainless. Then rinse with an acid, like vinegar, to remove the caustic.

Thanks. The lid is HUGE and would need to spray treat as opposed to submerge. I'm not entirely familiar with caustic soda. I think breweries use a lot of that stuff to clean their tanks. Maybe I should look into that.

TD

Comment

TrickyDick Breweries, dairies and a lot of other places use it to CIP (clean in place) their stainless tanks, lines and pumps. Just be careful, Caustic will burn if not handled properly. It will clean stainless like a dream but you have to be care carful. It the active ingredient in most oven cleaners.

Comment

I love this write up. I have a stack of rusty Lodge pans and a 17" griddle. I also have this Wagner 8 pan I would like to strip and make smoother.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	215449 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	215450
        Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! That Wagner looks beautiful.

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I just use it for cornbread and bacon right now.

W.A. I just got done restoring a 17" Lodge griddle. Those are great. I wish they would go back to making them that way instead of the griddles they make now. The models now don't have the handles or the grease catch. Here is where mine is so far. I still have some cooking to do on it before she is fully restored. But its has a really nice sheen on it at this point. Just gotta thrown some fatty steaks on there to put on the finishing touches to the seasoning!!

Name:	IMG_1122.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	215678 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1121.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	215679

Comment

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG That's GORGEOUUS!!! Looks like new. Sure comes a long way from your first post.

As for dumping the bath, is it hazardous? Can I flush it in the commode?

Atalanta
        Thanks!!! I am really happy with my results with this one. It came out really nice.

The bath isn't hazardous. as you can imagine, Its a bit iron rich after the treatment, or course, but its not hazardous. They use sodium carbonate as a booster for your laundry detergent. So anywhere your washer dumps should be just fine. I would imagine you can flush it.
        Last edited by Spinaker; March 30, 2017, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. We live on a waterway and have a well so I'm naturally concerned about the groundwater.

I am at it again. I have a Lodge Griddle that has been neglected by a friend for years. I was asked to re-season it for him and I obliged. Well, he did pay me in the form of hard to find boxes .22 ammo. So I guess I am not working for free this time!

For this one, there is some surface rust among other things on the surface of this griddle. I gave it a light scrub then put it into the Lightning Bath last night. I am going to check it this evening, it should be totally stripped down and ready for its first round of Flax Oil.

I plan on rinsing it tonight and getting at least one layer of Flax Oil on before bedtime. I like to bake the oil into the Iron for at least two hours then let it cool naturally in the oven. So I run the oven at 500 F for two hours, then turn it off and let it cool over night. It pretty cool to open that oven in the morning. Flax Oil puts a gorgeous bronze color onto the Iron after the first coating. Its pretty fun opening that oven to see what magic has happened over night.

I wish Lodge still made the griddles with the external handles. I think those are soooo much better. These older griddles (Like the one I posted above) were much easier to handle, especially while hot. It is true, you do get more cooking area with the internal handles like this one, but I don't think the limited added, space is worth it. Call me old school but I wish they would go back to the older style. Although they did retain the grease pan at the bottom of the griddle, which is handy.

Name:	IMG_1235.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	222798 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1234.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	222799

Comment

Well I have the griddle finished. This one came out really well. I think I did 6 rounds of seasoning on this one. I just love the color Flax oil gives you. Anyway, the results are below. Tell me you wouldn't want this baby as apart of your cooking arsenal!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1259.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	228663Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1260.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.00 MB ID:	228664

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't find the " buy it now" button!!!
            That looks great.

Beautiful!

Comment

Thanks so very much for your post on this one I use cast iron for almost all my cooking inside and some outside this is very simple and easy to understand I think I can do this

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Your welcome. You will be amazed with the results. Let me know if you have any questions. There is more than just BBQ in The Pit! Let us know how it goes.

Very cool.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Dan. Give it a try sometime.

Spinaker, This is a Great Post I wish I would have had the Advantage of Reading and Studying it before Descaling My Model T Gas Tank!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Dan!

I recently finished a round of seasoning with my Griswold #9. I have many vintage pans but this is my favorite piece. She sits flat, has no cracks and the surface is as smooth as can be.. Plus, she cooks like a dream. I recently stripped it down to bare iron. Now I am working on a few more rounds of manual seasoning, after some initial cooking with potatoes and the like.

Name:	Griswold Seasoning.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	301337
            I love these pans. They are a work of art and a piece of American history. This particular pan was made in the 1930's by Griswold. They are smooth as can be and thin walled. I think every cooking arsenal should have at least one vintage pan. They are a joy to own.

Name:	Griswold #9:Back.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	301336

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker
              Mebbe wrap it tightly in foil, next time?
              Like a turkey/chicken drum bone! LOL!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought about that! Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweet, least I ain't thinkin' too far outside th' box, or we both are...feel better, now brother! LOL!

Spinaker You are an artisan. Is there a cast iron restoration business in your future?

Maybe reselling pieces you restore?

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I have sold a few. But for now, its just a hobby.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF, what Ci do you own? Do you have nay vintage pans you could share?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here