Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring Cast Iron via Electrolysis Bath

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MsTwiggy
    commented on 's reply
    These pics are so great! After reading this thread I have changed my CI maintenance because i have better understanding of how the seasoning works and why i don't want any left over residue from my cooking oils which all have a high smoke point. Thank you Spinaker for helping spread this knowledge!! 🔥🔥🔥🙏🏻❤️🐿

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! It was a fun one. It is amazing how these things come back to life. It is one of the joys of collecting and restoring cast iron. @jrmorris

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    That looks beautiful Mr. Bowlsby!

• Spinaker
    replied
    Also, going on today was my Griswold No. 10, I pulled it out of the E-Bath and we have it pretty much all stripped down. There is a little seasoning left on it, but that is no big deal. All the rust and carbon has been removed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7419.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1259124 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7420.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1259125
    This is the pan after one round of Flax oil seasoning. She really has a nice sheen. I let it cool over night, and I will probably do another round of seasoning later today. So far, so good!

Name:	IMG_7423.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1259126

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I got the lid for the dutch oven done this morning. I would say it looks great. We can consider this one fully restored. This dutch oven was a piece that a friend of mine and his father (now gone) used on their Boy Scout trips growing up. So this one was a special restoration for me, but more importantly for him. We can now use this piece once again, the way it was intended, and I think his father would be proud of that.

Name:	IMG_7413.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1259115 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7415.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	1259116 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7414.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	1259117 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7424.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1259114

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! MsTwiggy

• MsTwiggy
    commented on 's reply
    Beautiful finish on that!!!

• Spinaker
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3E366443-FC0E-40CD-A271-B3BED8B29A2C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	1258389
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2A4B6018-2B1F-4D82-8F9E-ECC3742EF6F9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.94 MB ID:	1258390
    The body of the Dutch Is done with the first round of seasoning! LFG!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCullip
    replied
    Originally posted by Spinaker
    You can use any you see at the hardware store. Baling wire, is what some call it. Or you can use copper wire found in House hold wiring, that is what I usually;y use. All the big box stores sell it by the foot. I had some old wire laying around that I used when I wired the basement, so I just cut it outta that. But you can get raw wire at the hardware store.

Don't use galvanized or stainless. Stainless releases chromium gas and galvanized, zinc.

Thanks. That clarifies it for me and helps keep me out of the ditch as I give this a try.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    You can use any you see at the hardware store. Baling wire, is what some call it. Or you can use copper wire found in House hold wiring, that is what I usually;y use. All the big box stores sell it by the foot. I had some old wire laying around that I used when I wired the basement, so I just cut it outta that. But you can get raw wire at the hardware store.

Don't use galvanized or stainless. Stainless releases chromium gas and galvanized, zinc.

• RichardCullip
    replied
    I'm getting geared up to give electrolysis rust removal a try and am clear on the principles and most of the details. I am, unfortunately, confused about the steel wire used. What's a good source for it and is there any gotchas I should avoid? Obviously stainless steel wire is a no go (I think). How about galvanized steel wire?

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Update!
    The lid for the No. 12 is outta the bath and ready for seasoning. I gotta let the body of the Dutch cool in the BGE, so I’ll have to throw the lid in this evening. So far so good folks!

Name:	00A8E0FC-1D67-442B-8F23-5EA4F07D719E.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1258257 Click image for larger version

Name:	08191884-AA79-4FE8-9A39-708B6EBE8A8A.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1258259

Bonus: I have this Griswold pan in the bath as we speak. I have been meaning to get to this one for a while.

Name:	0DB8A4A9-009B-4A8F-8ABC-9DA97177D9AC.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1258258

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Do it up! It is pretty easy to set up once you have the materials.

• rlozinak
    replied
    That is a pretty neat process. I do have a cast iron pan that needs this process

Leave a comment:

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    I’d spray it down with a heavy coat of Easy-off oven cleaner then put it in a plastic trash bag for several days. It’s something like what a lye vat would do. You have nothing to lose. Just keep it put up where children or a pet can’t get to it.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here